Search Unity

Difficulty in floor recognition

Discussion in 'Handheld AR' started by clebertavares, Oct 9, 2019.

1. clebertavares

clebertavares

Hello,

I invite you to watch the following video:

There I am using (preview 3) ARFoundation 3.0´s horizontal plane detection, with URP 7.1 and a light transparency prefab to show the detection.

As you can see, it works perfectly on wrinkled floors, but porcelain tile / smooth floors... (with lights above it...)
    Nothing :-(

Is there anything I can do about it to improve it?

Thanks.

2. davidmo_unity

davidmo_unity

Unity Technologies

Reflective surfaces are poor for tracking on most devices. The typical best practices for tracking (planes, feature points, or otherwise) are to have a non-gloss/reflective noisy surface.

3. clebertavares

clebertavares

Yeah, I know... but apart from to told my user to "search for a non-gloss/reflective noisy surface", what should I do?

I already have a "keep walking and moving the cell phone" animation...

Is there a way to detect "this is a gloss/reflective smooth surface", so I can fire another animation "search for a non-gloss/reflective noisy surface"? Can I use a filter in my camera to avoid light reflections? Light the torch from the camera would help?

4. clebertavares

clebertavares

You said "on most devices"... was this a clue? If I said to my user "go get a IPhone XPTYZ 11.111k" or something like this, is it possible that this kind of plane detection work better?

5. davidmo_unity

davidmo_unity

Unity Technologies

No it was not. Merely incorrect wording on my part. What I should have said is glossy/reflective surfaces always cause issues. The only thing you can really do is instruct the user to find better surfaces using those guidelines.

clebertavares likes this.
  6. clebertavares

clebertavares

Alright. It´s sad news, but thank you o/