Search Unity

Feedback Difficult to drop a component in the inspector between component.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by AlanMattano, Dec 20, 2020.

1. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Description
    When drag and drop a component to reorder in the inspector, is very difficult to drop it in the correct place. The line between components is too thin.

Actual: There is a line between components of the size of just 1 pixel only. And to drop the component in that surface is very difficult.

Expected: That the line is tall 3 pixels or so. So that is more simple to drop and move the component.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    Marc-Saubion and Vryken like this.
  2. huulong

huulong

Indeed, and that applies to dragging a MonoBehaviour directly between two components to insert a new one too.

Alternatively, being able to right-click to Insert component at any place in the inspector, instead of scrolling to the bottom and Add Component at the bottom only, would help with the insertion, as we wouldn't have to do this, then drag the new component up. But that wouldn't help with the reordering (unless the contextual menu has cut and paste-insert component too, which would be great when you have many components and dragging while scrolling is difficult)

On a side note, I'm using a third-party Editor window to reorder components quickly:
    - https://bitbucket.org/hsandt/unity-commons-editor/src/master/ReorderMyComponents.cs (what I'm using, a bit old but does the job in simple cases)
    - https://gist.github.com/maxmcguire/1d1fdbd8df4ce9815b158cc262b0d391 (another implementation I found, not tested)

but that doesn't fix the issue of dragging a component being hard in the first place, whether to add a new one or move an existing one.

3. Homicide

Homicide

Yup - it really annoyed me so long ago , i quit doing it, Instead i just use the right click move up or down option.