Search Unity

diffferent people working on the same project with different versions?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by darkertime2, Sep 30, 2019.

1. darkertime2

darkertime2

Hello, new not only to unity but to forums in general. My friend and i are getting in unity but i have version 2018.3 and he has version 2019.1. Is it possible for us working on different versions to still work on the same projects together or do i need to download the newer version?

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

No, that doesn't work. You need to use the same version.

Joe-Censored, Ryiah and JeffDUnity3D like this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

At least not without severe caveats. You can create scripts in an older release and he can add them to the project, but while the editor is able to open projects made with older releases it's not intended to open projects made with newer releases so you won't be able to open the project yourself if you go down this route.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

You can install multiple Unity versions on the same computer. Doing so is quite typical. So just choose a version and both install it, and keep the other versions installed as well for other stuff you may have created with them.

JoeStrout and Ryiah like this.
  5. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

True, and if you use Unity Hub (pretty much required with new versions of Unity anyway), it makes it easy to launch the right version of Unity for each project.

Joe-Censored likes this.