Search Unity

Question Different Volume Profile for Gras

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Scarcop, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Scarcop

Scarcop

Im using HDRP with Unity 2020.1.8.
    So basically Im trying to use a different volume profile only for my gras objects, as AO and Contact Shadows look pretty bad on them. I want those effects for the rest of the scene though.
    Do you know how I can achieve this?
    Cheers!
    Screenshot_1.png Screenshot_2.png

2. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, the volume system cannot be used to "geographically" isolate or apply an effect to a certain part of the screen or certain meshes only.

The volume system is only able to feed the properties for the screen space AO to the camera, based on the position of the camera in the world, by blending together the influence of all volumes in your scene. In short, this means what you'd like to achieve with the volume system isn't possible.

A custom shader, or dedicated AO map on the grass (or the other assets) would allow getting the desired result, most likely. It seems you're going for a stylized look for your project, therefore dedicated AO maps sound like a path to consider, as you'll get full artistic control over the amount of occlusion, and bypass all screen-space limitations (while being able to keep a lower intensity for the screen space AO, if needed).