Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Different versions of FPS controller

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by codeedward, Jul 29, 2020.

1. codeedward

codeedward

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Standard Assets are abandoned. The FPS character controller script might still work in recent Unity versions, or might not. As far as Brackeys, I have not watched that specific video, but I'd guess that it teaches a lot more to the viewer to walk through creating the script than it does to just use something ready made.

3. codeedward

codeedward

Thank you @Joe-Censored for the explanation. Is there any replacement of it in recent Unity? It's good to understand the mechanics underneath but sometimes when I want to test other functionalities and need FPS Character for them, it would be also nice to have something ready-made.

4. Mauri

Mauri

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    codeedward likes this.
  5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

There was a lot of buzz for a while where Unity said they were going to completely replace the Standard Assets with a new package, but that ended a while back and appears to have been cancelled. I'm sure part of the reason is at the time Standard Assets was created the Asset Store wasn't really a thing, but today you can pick from several alternatives to anything provided in Standard Assets.

For example, as far as an FPS controller on the Asset Store, UFPS is probably the top one right now.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/ufps-ultimate-fps-106748

codeedward likes this.
  6. Martin_H

Martin_H

Iirc I once tested a physics based fps controller that was available for free outside of the assetstore (github probably, forgot the name or where I got it). I thought it was surprisingly good, better than all others I had encountered so far. So I'd encourage you to go hunting on github and try a couple free ones. You might be pleasantly surprised.

codeedward and Joe-Censored like this.
unityunity