Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Question different script editor instances per project?

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by JaviTheGreat, Oct 15, 2020.

1. JaviTheGreat

JaviTheGreat

Hello Community,

I usually work on 2 (or 3) projects projects at the same time, for example: one is a package and the other is a project that uses that package. So I have more than one Unity3D editor instance opened (usually same version).

The issue is when I try to code... both unity instances fight for the same script editor: when I open a script from one project, it loads that project into VS, and the other project does the same.

Things I've tried:
    1. Run 2 instances of VS: I open each project in a diff instance.
    -> This does NOT work consistently... when you open a script from one project, it usually open the last
    focused VS instance, overriding the loaded project's code. But other times it opens whatever :(

2. I installed VSCode along with VS to try to use one for each project.
    -> It does NOT work... when you change External Tools -> External Script Editor in one, it also
    changes it in the other. This is because the script editor is per Unity version, not project :(

Is there a way I can a specific script editor per project? (using the same Unity3D version, but diff instances)

Any help is appreciated! Thank you very much ;)

EricWilliams likes this.