Search Unity

Different enemy models using same material vs different material

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Sparticus, May 8, 2021.

1. Sparticus

Sparticus

Hey all,

I'm still trying to understand the things I need to do within Unity to get the best performance for mobile games.

From the Unity asset store I have purchased many enemy models for my game. In my game I will have maybe 10 different enemies.

I noticed if I add 50+ enemies to the screen (multiples of each type of enemy) I end up with a total of 10 batches (enemies with the same mesh got batched together)

I've read that getting 3d models to use the same material is better for performance. So I took the time to make 2 of my enemies to use the exact same material. After running the game the number of batches is still 10.

So, my question is. Is it worth the effort to create a 2048x2048 texture that contains all of the enemies textures and create 1 material from it... and apply that same material to all enemies? I am looking for performance gains here. I'm gunna guess when I am done since all enemies use different meshes my "batches" will be the same.

Thanks

2. Sparticus

Sparticus

Anyone have any thoughts? I'd assume having different meshes using the same material would be a performance boost.... but the number of batches doesn't change when I tried it. It's a lot of work for me to move all textures into the same material so I don't want to go through the effort if it makes no/little difference.