Search Unity

Differences in 2019 vs 2018 LTS

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by o1o101, Nov 6, 2019.

1. o1o101

o1o101

Hi,

This may be a stretch, but besides the obvious big name features (SRP, etc.) is there any way to see the differences or improvements between the 2018 LTS and the latest 2019, without manually searching through all the patch notes?

I would like to stay on 2018, but I am curious if I missed any big technical improvements that are not headline features & have not/will not be backported to 2018 LTS.

Cheers

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi @deverolirc,
    I believe your question hasn't been answered because your question is difficult to answer. I don't think there is a perfect or suitable way to achieve what you are trying out. To start with, I just checked unity website and there is no 2019 LTS so I'm not sure if any 2019 version has any of the improvements that you are searching for. To worsen the case, I think the following factors would determine if you need to try any of the 2019 versions or not:

1 - Are you a software developer in a company or just writing apps on your own? If you are writing your own apps, then I think 2018 LTS should be more than enough. Since 2019 versions don't yet have LTS, it theoretically means all versions can or may have some fault or another. The problem is we won't know what bug it is / how bad the bug is unless someone actually used it.
    2 - Have you published any apps in google play? It doesn't matter if it's on apple or android. This would depend back on factor (1) just given and how good your technical knowledge is. Only you know how good you are.
    3 - What kind of unity apps have you written and do you use any version control software apps?

If you haven't met factors 1, 2, and 3 successfully, then it means you are probably a beginner and don't need to worry about unity 2019 at all. Based on the previous threads I send and the replies I got, 2019 updates are ONLY if 2018 unity - any version, just refuses to work or satisfy / meet whatever requirements your games / apps need. The word "ONLY" is also advise from unity developers who create new versions - this is the advise they gave me so I can give the same advise to you. So unless you are really proficient with 2018 and even LTS 2018 cannot meet your expertise, you don't need to waste / spend any time wondering about the so-called improvements that 2019 might offer. Let other experts who are curious about it download and test it out.

If what I put here is not good enough and you want to satisfy your own curiosity, then go ahead and download and test it on your own. There's no harm doing so. Bear in mind that backward compatibility doesn't exist and you might end up finding new bugs.

burnox95 likes this.
  3. o1o101

o1o101

Thanks for the reply!

Sounds like reading over the patch notes is the way to go for now.

All the best

4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

5. SonicTheHedgiehog2

SonicTheHedgiehog2