Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Difference between "tutorial_start" and "level_start"

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by VrGamesDev, Aug 4, 2019.

1. VrGamesDev

VrGamesDev

I have read the documentation and already implemented the analytics package (kudos on it, it is useful, fun and easy) but I can´t find an answer for the following questions:

1) Read the title
    2) Is tutorial just used once?
    3) How to send steps in level_start cycle through level_complete.

Let me explain:

The tutorial of my game is also the first and second levels of the regular game, when you are done with the tutorial, you can repeat them as long as you want to get up to 3 stars for your performance and weapons and stuff if you take secret paths.

But I want to know if my players are finding the secret paths and how often they repeat the level.

My questions are because Tutorial has a "step" event. and "level" does not have a step event.

tutorial_start The player began a tutorial.
    tutorial_step The player passed a key stage in a tutorial.
    tutorial_complete The player concluded a tutorial.

What should I use "tutorial" or "level" ?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  2. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

It's important to note that Standard Events are meant to be a starting point and not a rigid definition. You should use them as you see fit. And you can always supplement the information with additional custom events. The goal is for them to be useful for your analysis.

Because the First Time User Experience is so important to a game, we thought it was worth separating out the events from these sections. However, you can use level_start in the same way, so it is mostly up to your preference.

The one practical difference I can see is the Funnel templates that are available on the Analytics dashboard. We have one dedicated to tutorial events and level events. So if you only used the level_start events, then your tutorial would be embedded in that funnel, whereas if you used the tutorial_start events, then you could have a separate funnel dedicated to those events.

No, you can have multiple tutorials. You can add a tutorial_id to distinguish between different tutorials.

This is a good case for creating your own event with different parameters and using that instead.

VrGamesDev likes this.
  3. VrGamesDev

VrGamesDev

Thank you for the reply, I already created the funnels and the implementation, I am already tracking where my users fall from the flow.

I have one question, If I repeat the same tutorial multiple times (same user) in the same day / session.

How is it registered in the funnel templates ?

4. VrGamesDev

VrGamesDev

This is the funnel of the first mission (It is also the first tutorial) you can repeat the level to get all the rewards.

This is the question, do I get all the tries, or just the first one?

Attached Files:

5. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Just the first one, per user.

6. VrGamesDev

VrGamesDev

Thank you, so I need to implement both events, on the first try (as tutorial) and the following tries (as game:start)

Thank you

7. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Are you trying to determine how many times a user goes through the tutorial?

8. VrGamesDev

VrGamesDev

Yes, because in my game you can repeat the tutorial N times. and get extra rewards

9. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unfortunately a funnel won't help you track how many times a level (or tutorial) is retried. You could send a OnFirstRetry event and onSecondRetry event, etc, and then use Data Explorer to count how many of each you receive. Between sessions, perhaps you could save how many times they've gone through the tutorial or similar using PlayerPrefs, in order to send the proper event the next time the user goes through it.

10. VrGamesDev

VrGamesDev

Thank you, I will try something like that. Will get back if I have more questions.

You guys are great, I wasted 2-3 weeks implanting my own analytics when I found yours. It does 95% of what I needed/wanted