Search Unity

difference between the Generic and Humanoid

Discussion in 'Animation' started by SAIKYOU, Oct 20, 2014.

1. SAIKYOU

SAIKYOU

The type of our project is a mmorpg, the average bones of humanoid models are 30; it works perfectly if the Animation Type is "Humanoid". And then i try another type---Generic, it also works correctly for humanoid models. As a result, the "Generic" type is suitable for all of models in our projects. However, if i use the resource named SWAT from MixamoProject, it can't play any animation if i import using "Generic"......

So, my questions is what's real difference between the Generic and Humanoid? The doc says "Generic" is suitable for the non-humanoid models, why does "Generic" works for some humanoid models like our projects?

P.S: our project is still being developed, i can't upload any FBX files. And forgiving my poor English...

2. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

The difference is that Humanoid animation can be retargeted to any kind of humanoid avatar. Even if the transform hierarchy doesn't match.

While a Generic animation will only work if the destination avatar share the same transform hierarchy.

3. zero_null

zero_null

Is this possible to change the rig type once you selected generic to Humanoid at some later time?
    The rig is humanoid compatible. Means It gets configured properly.
    The problem that I am facing is I was using generic rig and everything was working fine. When I changed rig to humanoid, I stuck in many problems.
    What could be wrong?
    The animations plays flawlessly when I play them from the animation tab. But when I set Parameters from script nothing happens.
    Point: I am using the same animator controller that I was using for generic rig. Is that causes problem?

4. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

yes you can change the rig type as you like but you would also need to change all the imported animation clip rig type to match the rig type of your avatar otherwise you may end up with a controller that doesn't animate your avatar.