Search Unity

Diff tool in unity editor in linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Advis91, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Advis91

Advis91

This has been kinda hard on me as I don't know how to add it in linux version.
    I have installed KDiff and tkdiff is a single file, but nothing doesn't show up in the dropdown.
    Has there been a solution for this, diff should work since 5.6.0b3...?
    Where do I need to install these to show up in the dropdown?
    I don't see any custom tool option there either.
    Using 2019.4.12f1 version.

2. Fault

Fault

Same issue here with 2020.1.14f1.
    I've installed both meld and p4merge but neither show up in the dropdown. If I try to use the browse option and go to the /usr/bin folder where they are located, it for some reason can't see their binaries. It can however see other binaries with the exact same permissions, owner and group, so it shouldn't be a permission problem.

Edit:
    It apparently can't even see that I've VS Code installed either.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  3. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

I was able to see p4merge, tkdiff, meld and Beyond Compare on 2019.4, 2020.1 and 2021.1. They all appeared in the list.

If they aren't working for you, can you run 'whereis' on each of the binaries and make sure they are in either:

/usr/bin
    /usr/local/bin

If you've installed since starting the editor, you may need to restart it.

Advis91 likes this.
  4. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

As for VS Code, if you installed via the MS repository it should be fine. But if it got installed as a snap package we may not detect this. If you'd like, you can log it as a bug. Please include the path of where the VSCode executable actually is that it isn't detecting.

5. MadWatch

MadWatch

From my experience, Unity detects programs that have been installed with Snap or with regular package. But not those installed with Flatpak.

6. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

The latest VSCode package detects the flatpak
    /var/lib/flatpak/exports/bin/com.visualstudio.code. If this is not correct, please use "Help->Report a Bug".

7. Advis91

Advis91

Yes! tkdiff appeared in droplist when I placed it in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin.