Search Unity

Did you notice a drop in download in Google Play?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ClosingTime, Sep 17, 2020.

1. ClosingTime

ClosingTime

One of my old games, consistently gets one or 2 downloads every day. For some very long time.
    5 or 4 days ago, it stopped getting any download.
    I hope this is just some delay in the data perhaps, but did anyone else notice something like this?

Thanks.

2. digiross

digiross

Google likes to tinker with their algorithms. Over the past couple of years their have been quite a few forum threads about the same occurrence. I use to follow one of them, so try a forum search and you'll probably locate it.

3. Ukounu

Ukounu

If your game was getting just one or two downloads per day for long time and you were neither interested in fixing/updating it, nor had the courage to pull the plug on it, I think you should thank Google for finally killing it for you. :confused:

Mauri, Ryiah and Joe-Censored like this.
  4. Ryiah

Ryiah

That said everyone in that thread had a successful game receiving more than just one or two daily downloads so while it could be the result of an algorithm change by the search engines it's just as possible in my opinion that it simply stopped receiving new downloads. After all it's not like the app was far from zero downloads to begin with.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  5. ClosingTime

ClosingTime

Yea, but the stopping was quite abruptly.
    It could be a change in the algorithm, true.
    To be honest, Google Play is not a really good store for organic traffic. The Apple app store is much better for that.
    By organic, I mean traffic you get from searches without needing to advertise your game.

6. Moonjump

Moonjump

While the comment may sound a little harsh, it does not deserve a response like that. One or two downloads a day is not a successful app. It is as the level where it is probably not worth fixing/updating, unless there are other factors. 104K downloads is such a factor, but you hadn't mentioned that. It sounds like something changed before going to one or two downloads a day, information on which would be needed to help you.

Neonlyte likes this.
  7. ClosingTime

ClosingTime

Yea, this is also for learning experience.
    Even if the app is no longer successful, this is something you can learn from. For instance, if you put a new app.