Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Did Unity cease collaborate development?

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by MassiveTchnologies, Nov 14, 2019.

1. MassiveTchnologies

MassiveTchnologies

Hi,

We are wondering what happened to collaborate development? The latest experimental update in package manager was months ago (May)...

2. Nyphur

Nyphur

They completely abandoned the current version and started developing a whole new one from scratch based on git-lfs. The last thing we heard was something about tinkering with the UI but they don't even have a working system in alpha yet. I'd consider Collaborate dead at this point and find another solution, there's no communication and no ETA.

3. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @MassiveTchnologies and @Nyphur, we're sorry for the lack of communication recently. We have been hard at work on the New UX of Collaborate for 2020.1 and will release more information when we get closer to that release.

4. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

Perfection is the enemy of the good.

hippocoder likes this.
  5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I don't think aiming for perfection was the problem with the last iteration of Collaborate.

But yeah, since beyond all reason we're somehow still using Collaborate, I do wish it would come in a more usable form sooner rather than later.

6. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Just get Plastic SCM like most of us. It works and have real support. What else?

7. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Yes, but what about Stockholm syndrome.

8. Nyphur

Nyphur

I've moved over to Perforce and it's pretty good so far, only stumbling blocks are working out the best workflows to use. Took a while to get a server up and running but it has built-in unity integration like Plastic SCM and the cost is minimal (just server hosting costs) for 5 users or less.

If it worked consistently and didn't frequently brick projects, I'd still prefer the built-in collaborate tool too. It's far easier for non-technical artists to work with, easier to train people in (literally 5 minutes), has no server maintenance to do, works with Unity Hub and the Teams storage to keep things simple. But I can't wait forever, we have projects in production and can't afford to take hours out of every week fixing problems caused by collab.

Marc-Saubion and AcidArrow like this.