Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Did this company rip off the Unity logo or is it coincidence?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by squanch, Jul 8, 2017.

1. squanch

squanch

Noticed this on my way back to the house, it's an estate agent place as far as I can tell.

Estate Agents:

Unity Logo:

Looks like it uses the same font + name, it could just be a coincidence though?

[EDIT]

Not sure how to delete the thread, but like LaneFox said I've noticed some differences with the letters, the T is a different shape and the U/N are connected, don't see anything else different though but it's highly unlikely.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  2. LaneFox

LaneFox

Not the same font. The only thing the same here is the word.

wccrawford and dogzerx2 like this.
  3. squanch

squanch

Same name, same font. I'd say it's pretty close, the only thing missing is the 3D square thing.

4. squanch

squanch

The font looks the same to me, except I've just noticed the U and the N are connected in the first logo.

5. LaneFox

LaneFox

Every letter has differences, and there is no logo. The word is the only thing the same.

wccrawford and alexanderameye like this.
  6. squanch

squanch

You're probably right, just thought I'd ask lol.

7. neoshaman

neoshaman

Well that's what happen when you use generic words with generic trendy fonts (they are not the same but they are visually very similar), modern graphic design isn't about unique identity anymore. Good things they didn't tried to enforce too much the trademark like scroll edge doodle sky candy prey farm.

alexanderameye likes this.
  8. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

We haven't trademarked the word 'Unity' and both logos look completely different. I don't see any rip off! :D

9. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Its unlikely the word 'unity' could be trademarked even if UT wanted too. Which means that you are down to image trademarks. The images have different colors, different layouts, different images, and different fonts.

Trademark law is all about protecting against consumer confusion. Unity Lettings is in the real estate business. Unity Technologies is in the computer software business. The marks are completely different. The chances of anyone getting the two marks confused is nill.

So even if you could demonstrate that they had used the Unity Technologies logo in order to produce their own, that's still not against trade mark law.

10. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Hmm, then, I will start a game studio called Unity Game Studio. :D

11. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Fun fact: did you know you can trademark a color?

Milka trademarked their iconic 'purple' color. You could create a tech brand that uses that color though, but not a candy-bar company.

Rodolfo-Rubens and Ryiah like this.
  12. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

Fun fact #2: nothing rhymes with "purple".

13. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

14. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

That's like half a shade off of Cadbury's trademark of their iconic colour.

Which leads to a fun fact that trademarks tend to be geographically limited. There is no such thing as Burger King on my country.

Ryiah and alexanderameye like this.
  15. neoshaman

neoshaman

Currently in "color and brand" drama, some artist and vantablack.

16. squanch

squanch

The biggest thing I was caught up on was the font similarity but after having compared both fonts (rather than just going off memory) I see what people mean, the only likeness is the name :p

17. snacktime

snacktime

Trademark law is actually mostly common sense. They look at how likely will it be for the trademark to be confused with another one. So even if Unity did not trademark Unity, it doesn't necessarily mean that your application would get approved. For instance you can trademark words and images as a whole, but the trademark office can still decide that some other mark using similar words in the same industry, is too close, and deny you.

Kiwasi and Rodolfo-Rubens like this.
  18. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Also sounds right? I heard harley davidson's engine sound is trademarked too o_O

Ah, I see, haha, anyways, UT has a game studio already, it's called Unity Games IIRC (and if I'm not mistaken), The Last Tinker was one of their games, so it would be even harder for anyone to start a company called Unity Game Studio. And, of course, I was just kidding about doing it :p.

alexanderameye likes this.
  19. Ryiah

Ryiah