Search Unity

Did anyone get multithreading to work?

Discussion in 'PSM' started by Kriechgebuesch, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Kriechgebuesch

Kriechgebuesch

I'm running a second thread that generates noise (with times up to 300ms on the Vita). When I run the game on my PC it definitely runs the noise function in a separate thread as even calculation times as high as 4000ms do not interfere with the framerate. On the Vita however it seems to run everything in the main thread as frame rate appears to be strongly affected. Has anyone gotten multithreading to work on the Vita yet? Is this even a supported functionality?

2. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

There could be other reasons why it's stalling. A second thread should have the possibility to run in parallel with the main thread.

Any chance you could attach your project to a bug report?
    That way we can have a look and see what is the problem..

3. Kriechgebuesch

Kriechgebuesch

Thanks, I have attached the project to a bug report now (Case 612673). Interestingly I found out that the noise generation thread seems to run as intended once I run an expensive call that creates a Texture2D object out of the generated noise data in the main thread. Is it possible the Vita automatically assigns secondary threads to the main thread if it isn't busy enough?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  4. ng93

ng93

Kriechgebuesch, did you manage to fix the problem? I'm having the same issue (have filed a bug report), but wondering if there may be a workaround.

5. Kriechgebuesch

Kriechgebuesch

Sorry for the late answer ng93 but unfortunately I have not. Haven't heard anything about my bug report either so far.

6. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

Hi guys - thanks for the bug reports.
    The reason why you see those stalls is because your worker thread "steals" cycles from the main thread (because your main thread is pretty much idle a bit part of the frame update).
    I've adjusted the thread priorities a bit to make sure this doesn't happen, and we are planning a hotfix release which will include this fix.
    Sorry for the inconvenience.

7. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

ooh a hotfix, what else is included with it? fog? :D

8. Kriechgebuesch

Kriechgebuesch

Ah! Great to hear! :)

Positively surprised this wasn't just me being stupid and overlooking something obvious. Also no need to apologize, I except little convenience for free products, especially when they are in Beta! ;)

9. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

Not fog, no (fog can quite easily be added to a shader ;)
    But GPU crash fixes, the AssetBundle Caching API, and some other things..

10. mbowen89

mbowen89

11. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

12. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Hi Erique,

This hotfix is great but doesn't solve the issue with multithreading, should it have been included in this hotfile?

Thanks,

Jon

13. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Also FYI, while the hotfix seems to resolve the cache issue asset bundles still do not work:

The unity3d file is not a valid asset bundle

Is posted into the log when attempting to load a scene from an asset bundle :(

14. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

It solves at least the two issues mentioned earlier in this thread.
    Could you be a bit more specific on what doesn't work and/or report a bug with a small project that shows the problem?

As for the problem with AssetBundles - that is off-topic, and there is already a thread about that.
    I'll see what I can do about posting an example to that thread.

15. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Thanks Erique, the situation with the threads relate to spawning a temporary thread to process a task once it completes it closes and a new one is spawned 0.25 seconds later... I notice around a 0.1 second pause every 0.25 seconds. I'm assuming it's the thread running...but it could be that spawning a thread on PSM actually causes a delay...is this likely do you know? I'll try and create a bug report, but it's quite a complex project, I'll try and strip it down....if not are you okay with the whole project if I give you repro instructions?