Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Dictionary serialization

Discussion in '2020.2 Beta' started by phobos2077, Jun 19, 2020.

1. phobos2077

phobos2077

So now we have SerializeReference and serialized generics. Big fat elephant in the room is Dictionary<>. Is there any plans to add built-in support for dictionaries in 2020.2 or later?

With 2020.1 generics serialization it should probably be possible to implement your own SerializedDictionary class based on List (haven't tried it yet). But I think such a basic and commonly needed thing needs to be finally added.

2. Ramobo

Ramobo

3. Ramobo

Ramobo

Actually, better yet:
    • Lift the [Serializable] attribute requirement for serializing types. Where it's required is inconsistent anyway
    • All types are composed of primitive data (character, number) at some level, so hierarchically serialize anything that follows the rules
    • Provide a property drawer for the built-in dictionary
    Power. In an ideal world, we'd be able to use custom-implemented properties and call serialized type methods in the inspector (e.g. `MyType.MyProperty { set => myData++; }`, `Dictionary.Add(...)`) which, although probably possible, is dream stuff.
    I'd like to ask @JoshPeterson about the feasibility of this.

brunocoimbra likes this.
  4. TJHeuvel-net

TJHeuvel-net

Eh please no, why do you think its inconsistent? How would you express a variable that you dont want to serialize in that case?

5. brunocoimbra

brunocoimbra

[NonSerialized], which btw seems to be required anyway when dealing with the new enter play mode options.

6. Ramobo

Ramobo

"First-class privileges" would be a better term. None of the primitive types (`string`, `char`, `int`, `float`, ...) and none of Unity's types (`GameObject`, `Transform`, ...) are marked with `[Serializable]`, yet they all get serialized. User types, meanwhile, require the attribute. This goes for both Unity's serializer and `BinaryFormatter`.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  7. Baste

Baste

String, Char, Int, Single - the proper structs for string, char, int, float - are all marked with [Serializable]. The special case handling for Untiy's types doesn't happen with a binary formatter, and applies exactly to things deriving from UnityEngine.Object.

So you're wrong on both counts!

I get, though, that it's a bit silly that you have to stuff in two different attributes in two different places to make serialization happen. Afaik, [Serializable] doesn't do anything else than unlocking serialization (unless the compiler packs the thing differently), so it's perfectly possible to just not care and serialize everything you can.

If I were to do things from scratch, I'd decouple public/private and [SerializeField] - remove [NonSerialized] and require [SerializeField] on everything that's to be serialized. That'd be more straightforwards. But it's not like it's a big enough problem to refactor things over.

8. Ramobo

Ramobo

I've decompiled the relevant libraries and you're right. Apparently Visual Studio's "peek definition" ignores most attributes, because it only shows `[DefaultMember]` on `String` and nothing on the others.

Researching, I can only find that `[Serializable]` is required, but not why.

9. Because serialization is important enough to mark it explicitly. This way you instantly know instead of just guessing if an instance of the class is or is not serializeable.
    A lot of things aren't serializable, a lot of things you don't want to serialize. It remains clear and instantly visible if you intend to serialize the thing you're looking at. And if you have anything in the serialization which doesn't have the attribute, you get an explicit error. As you should. Because explicit errors are great instead of silently failing or silently messing up the serialized data pool.

10. Ramobo

Ramobo

I'd prefer a "requires attribute" option to forcing it. There are text serializers (including the built-in XML serializer) that are fine without an attribute requirement, which makes it hard for me to see why a binary serializer would absolutely need it. While some stuff definitely can't be serialized, the vast majority can. There can always be intrinsics (e.g. the serializer refuses to serialize pointers because it knows that it's always asking for trouble).

11. But the serializer doesn't refuse to serialize pointers.

You only run the XmlSerizalizer explicitly, in Unity, you can run the binary serializer implicitly (Unity is running it for you). Maybe you would be okay an opaque way of doing this, but any serious project would instantly die on this.

And this is not even a Unity-related problem. It's a given behavior.

phobos2077 likes this.
  12. Ramobo

Ramobo

I'm referring to memory addresses. I think you're referring to the data that the pointer points to. In hindsight, the latter makes sense.

It's weird how rarely I see people pointing to settings as a way to solve debated behavior. It sound obvious, maybe that's why.

13. Baste

Baste

Unity has generally had a very, very hard "we don't make settings switches for core behaviour". That's probably smart - if you introduce settings like this every now and then, you quickly get millions of different engine configurations, and it becomes harder and harder to support everything.

14. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

We need a setting to ignore all settings! ;)

SolidAlloy likes this.