Search Unity

Dialoguer - A Dialogue Creator Tool For Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tonycoculuzzi, Mar 22, 2013.

1. spencersteers

spencersteers

Just started working on something similar to this on my own but after seeing your demo might just wait till this is released :)

2. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

It's coming soon, I promise!

3. GoldenGecko

GoldenGecko

Where's the "Like" button? :)

4. no-weekend

no-weekend

5. Phusckidus

Phusckidus

When you say soon are we then talking talking days or weeks?

6. no-weekend

no-weekend

I'm guessing weeks, but although I would like it sooner, I have a million other things to work on in my game before I need to implement a dialogue system.

7. Phusckidus

Phusckidus

Shame, We have a deadline on our project in a couple of weeks, so i might have to go with one of the competitors.

8. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

I'm hoping a few weeks.

9. no-weekend

no-weekend

Awesome, keep us updated.
    Your fanbase here awaits. :)

10. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

I'm glad to hear it! :) Will do

11. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

Just a little update, I'm hoping to hear something by the end of this week! I'll keep you guys informed. :)

12. Copywright

Copywright

Great, looking forward to it!

13. Guideborn

Guideborn

I look forward to this as well but please PLEASE include a manual in the asset store.

14. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

So, I'm sorry guys, but it looks like I'm going to have to push it back a bit more. The issue I was hoping to hear about wasn't addressed yesterday (the 19th) but I'm hoping to hear about it soon. To be honest, I'm getting really frustrated with what's holding me back from releasing this, and I'm really sorry to keep it from you. I'll let you know if anything comes up.

15. GPSchnyder

GPSchnyder

Do you have any Manual written for it? Would like to take a look at that upfront to start to learn how to use it. I'm planing to use it and it would be good to know what to prepare...

16. Copywright

Copywright

It's no problem, take all the time you need. This is a great asset and I can't wait. Also, I agree, a nice PDF manual or script reference wiki goes great lengths when using these assets. Please try to include one of those, it ultimately leaves the unity forum to be less crowded with problems when the asset has extensive support already provided.

17. Guideborn

Guideborn

I want this so bad, bro. Hope everything is going swell!

18. no-weekend

no-weekend

I have another person keen in seeing how this project performs especially if you can get the importing of Articy files working.

19. Copywright

Copywright

Could really use this right about now...any timetable? UDE Avanced is half off and I really need a dialogue solution.

20. no-weekend

no-weekend

I second this. I feel bad for hounding but projects are waiting.

Is there anything that anyone here can help you with?

21. pneill

pneill

Guys, I gotta tell you, even if this thing is released I'd be cautious about buying. What do you think the support story is going to be once this is release? Author hasn't posted for weeks despite several requests for an update.

22. Guideborn

Guideborn

I wouldn't mind the smallest update!

23. neroziros

neroziros

Looking forward to this too!

24. Dan Fury

Dan Fury

Hey everyone,
    since the author hasn't posted anything in the last 5 weeks, I just wanted to let you know that there already is a node based dialogue engine with the same features and more available in the asset store:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/179039-DUNILOG-dialog-engine
    If you need a dialogue engine right now, give it a try.

25. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

Hey guys, sorry for the silence. I told you guys I'd keep you updated if anything changed, and nothing had, until this weekend.

The reason I haven't been active here in the past little while is because I didn't know what was going on. It has nothing to do with my lack of support for Dialoguer. I'm trying to push to get this released as soon as possible.

I can guarantee you, I don't want to wait any longer to release Dialoguer, but it seems to be out of my hands.

Again, sorry for the silence, it's been one of those "my personal work is in jeopardy" things, and thinking about the situation frustrates me immensely.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  26. spencersteers

spencersteers

Sorry to hear about all the trouble you're having with it. I wish I coud offer you some advice on what to do but would have no clue.

Hope it all works itself out and you can release the tool soon!

27. Copywright

Copywright

I can't see why the company would attempt to stake any ownership over your product outside fo work. Unless it was in a contract, or something..

Anyway, as long as it get's released sometime. Keep us updated though, silence is definitely discouraging. Would also probably be a good time to use this time to continue work on features, if you're able.

28. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

It doesn't make any sense unless your company produces tools for Unity. In your own time you can do what pleases you if you don't step on your day job toes stealing their customers. This doesn't seem right to me... sounds much like a made up story :)

29. Sashimi_2

Sashimi_2

Setting up contracts for years...

If the company you work for is not doing something similar as their core business, there is no way you need to get clearance for any asset you write outside of your business hours.

Even! if such thing would be mentioned in your contract,( not doing any programming in your free time and possible monetizing your stuff) It would not be legit if they get you to court.

Only thing you would have to worry is if the studio currently makes something, or payed you to make something very very! similar to what the asset is doing.

Cheers,
    Sash

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  30. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

I can assure you it's not made up.

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  31. zirakuta

zirakuta

Any news on what is going on with this? I am very interested in this tool and have been watching it for quite some time, but nothing seems to be happening. :(

32. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

I'm working on it as we speak. :)

Edit: To clarify, bug fixes, and making sure it's completely compatible with 4.0, which so far it seems to be. Still waiting for this issue to be resolved, but being proactive while being forced to wait.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  33. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

34. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

Hey guys, big news! Check out this page to get Dialoguer for free before it's released, which should be in the next few days! http://www.dialoguer.info/free

35. Le_Foosh

Le_Foosh

Awesome work, can't wait to plug it into my game!

36. Gixen

Gixen

This tool is really amazing. I foresee great things being made with Dialoguer.

37. TomasSala-Falconeer

TomasSala-Falconeer

Hi this is looking really good, Surely something I can use for Oberon's Court. I just have two questions
    1. will you make some playmaker bindings? this would just fit in with it awesomely. ?
    2. I'm assuming it would work wel enough with a custom 3D dialogue system using textmesh?

cheers and keep up the good work, been showing your demo around the office. ;)

38. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

It look good!
    Support it multy-line choices? And choices that are show only if a condition is fulfilled?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  39. damagefilter

damagefilter

Yep, it's all there.
    Only you have to write displaying of things yourself.
    I'm just playing around with it.

Only thing that's a bit iffy imo is that ALL the dialogue data is stored in one xml file.
    I imagine on large projects that's going to become a real mess.

40. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Thanks for your answer :D

41. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Look interesting, what I like the most is the fact you don't have to leave Unity to get the job done. We now use Parley but there you have to swap between there Java client and Unity all the time. So I'm thinking on switching to dialoguer (once released) but ... is there any support for quests besides the dialogs?

42. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

That'd be great, I really hope Dialoguer does what you need. I've had a lot of requests for Playmaker support, so I'm looking in to it and I hope to have it in in the next major update. And yes, because of the event based skinning system, any way you want to display text will work, including 3D text meshes!

I've been following your progress on Oberon's Court by the way, awesome stuff! I'm really looking forward to playing it!

Multi-line choices are supported, though the input field is only one line high. I may change that in later updates, but multi-line is still supported for choices. :)

And yeah, you can include metadata with the node that contains a string with something like "3:lockpick:20, 4:bool:12" which could be parsed and dealt with on the skinning side (in your Dialoguer Controller class that you create for your own skin) - This example could hide choice 3 if lockpicking isn't >= 20, and hide choice 4 if Global boolean 12 is false. Very easy to do! Let me know if you need any more information about that. I'll be writing up some documentation about using metadata soon.

I've been thinking about that actually. It may prove a hassle for teams, so I'm going to be splitting it out into multiple XMLs (one per dialogue tree) in a future update. This would be more optimized and thus saving/loading would be a LOT faster. I'll keep you posted! :)

You could easily write a system to tie into the global variables system that is included with Dialoguer, which would allow you to include quest-related information (items collected, number of enemies killed, etc) in your text. It's very versatile in the sense that you can include anything in your text as long as it's accessible through the global variable system.

43. TomasSala-Falconeer

TomasSala-Falconeer

Thanks for you'r answer.. i'm actually putting of the dialogue system for a bit, waiting for your next update.. As it would really ie into the whole story of the game , and enhance the story telling options tremendously

So kudos, I'll get cracking on designing a 3D dialogue system then....

44. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

45. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Hi Tonzie,

Just bought Dialogeur and must say the asset is well designed but I'm having a question. In a branched text node I want some choices to be visible/hidden depending on a global/local variable. Is this possible or do I have to create two or more branched nodes depending on a condition? If this latter is the case then I'm afraid the dialogue tree will be real messy. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  46. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

Nope, no need for two separate branched text nodes!

This seems to be a common question I'm getting from people, so I'm working on including this functionality in the next big update when I rehaul some of the UI. But for now, this can be done with node metadata.

Basically, when you check the advanced box, a metadata box becomes available to you, and you can put whatever string you like in here. In this case, you can put a string that looks like this in there:

2:bool:12, 3:lockpicking:20

You can parse this string (in your OnTextPhase method, data.metadata) in your UI controller, and use it to hide/show specific choices based on the information you were given. In this case, the string contains two hideable choices. The first would hide choice 2 if global bool number 12 is false, and hide choice 3 if the player's lockpicking skill is less than 20.

I hope that makes sense! Doing it this way would allow you to implement as many choice hiding scenarios as you like, all in your GUI manager.

47. RadioactiveXP

RadioactiveXP

Any NGUI examples available?

48. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

Not yet, but I'll be throwing some up soon. It's basically the same process as the First Look video, but instead of using the Unity GUI you can control NGUI elements through your GUI controller class.

49. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll try this approach.

Edit: Tried the approach but encountered an issue: I created a new global variable (boolean) with the value set to false. For testing the approach I tried setting the value to true but the call to Dialoguer.GetGlobalBoolean(id) is alwaus returning false. So I checked teh global variables screen again and in fact the value is back false. So it seems that when you change your global variables in the editor they are not stored (even when saving the scene).

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  50. Deleted User

Deleted User

ops this was in the wrong post

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2014