Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Diagnosing Editor Delays and Freezes

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by WickedRabbitGames, Apr 6, 2021.

1. WickedRabbitGames

WickedRabbitGames

I've run into a problem I haven't encountered in the past. In the last week or so, while working in the Unity Editor, I've encountered a pattern of delays or freezes. These occur regularly, and last up to several minutes before I can do anything again. They happen when I save the scene I'm working on, or if I try to play the scene, and sometimes even if the Unity Editor loses focus. I cannot tell what is causing the problem and I'm not sure what I can do to figure it out. I don't know whether the Profiler can help diagnose the problem(s).

I'm using the 2019 LTS.

If you've had this problem, or have a solution, please please please help!

Thanks!

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Is your project on slow storage like an HDD? Does your computer have really low specs? Do you have auto generate lighting enabled? Is your scene very large?

Note, when you hit Play the currently opened scene(s) are all saved to a temporary location in their current state. This is so any changes made while playing the game are erased as soon as exiting play mode, since the open scenes are thrown out and the scene(s) from the temp save are reloaded. So I'm not surprised if you are getting slowness while saving the scene also happens when hitting Play, since the first thing it does is save the scene.

3. WickedRabbitGames

WickedRabbitGames

Thanks for your response...

The system was purchased four years ago... it's an Intel processor but I'm not sure (not home now) of it's specs. 16 gigs of RAM. Graphics from a GeForce 1080. The operating system and Unity install is on a SDD, while the data is on an HDD. I do not have lighting on auto-generate. And I'm not sure how to reply to the question of scene size. It seems like a large scene to me, but I have absolutely no reference to what that means in the real world. However, I've been recently turning off sections of the level that I'm not working on at the time. That sometimes seems to help.

I've begun to suspect that Probuilder may be responsible. One aspect of this problem is that somethings, like saving, or using CTRL-Z to undo changes, causes repeated Importing Asset popups to appear over the course of several minutes. I was using the experimental create Mesh setting (to get access for export). I'm not sure how turning that off, and perhaps deleting the Probuilder mesh assets will affect the situation.

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The first thing I'd do is move the project off the HDD over to the SSD and see how that affects the performance. If you're reimporting assets, that will cause the HDD to jump all over the place to a ton of little files. Exactly what HDD's are the worst at.

5. WickedRabbitGames

WickedRabbitGames

I'm actually hoping to get a new development system soon. But this particular problem is new. It hasn't happened to me with the current computer before. So I don't think its the hardware.