Search Unity

Resolved DevOps Pricing??

Discussion in 'Unity DevOps General Discussion' started by Mr-Boat, Mar 8, 2023.

1. Mr-Boat

Mr-Boat

Hello, I have been trying to find out what's the pricing after the free tier in the DevsOps page but I can't seem to find it. It keeps asking me to sign up with pay as you go without letting me know how much I could be charged per extra seats, GBs or builds (not looking to use the last one, only interested in plastic to be honest).

Can you please throw some light?
    How much would 4 seats cost?

Regards

2. joonarahko

joonarahko

Unity Technologies

Hey @Mr-Boat, I surprisingly could not find the pricing on our marketing website. However, here is a screenshot of the pricing table inside the dashboard.

Attached Files:

3. mathiasahrens

mathiasahrens

Unity Technologies

Hi @Mr-Boat, @joonarahko and @emmy5426 here is the pricing info you're looking for: https://docs.unity.com/devops/en/manual/pricing-for-unity-devops

So, for example, if we take your use case @Mr-Boat :
    • Your first 3 seats = free, you're not charged for them
    • Your 4th seat = 7$/month
    • TLDR: if you need 4 seats, you would pay a total of 7$/month
    And for storage:
    • Your first 5 GB of storage in the cloud = free
    • Any additional 1 GB of storage (after the free 5GB) = 0.14$/GB/month
    • TLDR: if you host 7GB of data in your repository's cloud = 0.28$/month
    As for build minutes, you don't have to use them. It's just an option available if you want to free up your local machine when building. Or if you want to build on a platform you don't have, like iOS for example.
    But if you want to try it out, the first 200 Build Minutes for Windows are free.
    After that, the costs vary based on the platform (Windows is 0.02$ per build minute. Mac is 0.07$ per build minute) and by concurrent build machines.

Note: the VAT tax gets added on top.

Hope it helps!
    Let us know if you have more questions

LilGames and andreiagmu like this.
  4. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

I was looking for a version control system that works well for Unity games - for 2 seats, 3 maybe max just to work on a small project with friends. I have some questions I need answering if you could please help:

Question 1?
    Lets start with the basic premise that our game will store 1GB on a source server as Unity Dev Ops offers and we don't have to worry about the library folder etc.

Naturally as a hobbyist I want to avoid getting charged so I will try to avoid the 5GB limit but I can pay if necessary especially if the project becomes larger - I just don't want to be overcharged because I don't understand something.

Then there's the issues about quality - I found comments only 5 months ago that still talk about how this solution or its former have had bugs and commit conflicts.

Unity has changed itself so many times from Collab, Teams and then DevOps....I fear commit issue bugs and lack of future security and so despite this "seeming to be a solution" all these concerns have me considering Git and its LFS feature which I know nothing about but people seem to recommend.

Even if this is the solution and it's the cheaper one my fears is the bugs - one commit conflict bug could be really bad but if I don't use the library folder then I should be good to go right?

Question 2: Will we actually need to create (5 version backups) 5Gb+ of branches if we are just 2 people and only want to work on the latest version and a previous backup version we backup every week to revert to if something goes wrong?

Sorry that's probably a lot more than 2 questions but someone answering this will help A LOT OF PEOPLE.

Feedback: I certainly didn't know the compute minutes was an optional feature - the way it is advertised on the page makes it seem like you get charged for every commit and branch as its using computer power haha - so it seems like a mandatory feature to the layman that will run out very quickly it should be listed as optional expense because I was deterred by it big time because 200 minutes seems like nothing.

Feedback: What in the world do you mean by concurrent machines - that's not explained and again deters me from going forward.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
    LilGames likes this.
  5. oobartez

oobartez

Does storage apply to VCS only or also to builds / artifacts?

6. LilGames

LilGames

Yes, please expand on SilverStorm's questions. The pricing page here isn't detailed enough. For example, it makes it sound like Free tier gives 5GB and Standard Tier you don't get that 5GB, but instead are billed for all storage. Same for the "machine" concurrency costs.

I'd like more details on the following:
    1. What is considered and billed as using storage (that would end up affecting the cost)?
    • Does it include all Plastic repos and all ChangeSets?
    • Does it include Builds in Build History? Where are "Builds" stored?
    • Does it include the entire work-space for making a build (the library, caches, etc, which can be gigabytes and gigabytes of data!)
    • Is there any advantage to us going through all our past Build histories and deleting old builds?
    2. Does standard tier get 1 machine concurrency free or not?

3. Does Standard get 200 free minutes or not? And when do those free minutes reset?

4. Compute time:
    • Doesn't charging for build time incentivize Unity to use slow machines so that they can charge more?
    • Where is the cost calculator? Usage based services like Microsoft Azure, Amazon's AWS, etc provide detailed calculator tools to estimate pay-as-you-go costs. You're going to have a hard time getting buy-in if these parts of a project's budget can't be projected ahead of time.

JDPerry likes this.
  7. JGasimov

JGasimov

Unity Technologies

Hello @SilverStorm ,

To answer your question, the Free Tier for Unity Version Control provides a good intro to Unity Devops and a good solution for a small-sized project, since you get 5GB and 3 user seats for free. We aim to be as transparent as possible with the costs, so at any time of your game development process you can check the current day-to-day usage on our dashboard by checking the graphs in the Usage Reporting tab.

You will be charged if you add a new seat or surpass the 5GB storage limit. It is important to point out, that if you're working on a 5GB project, you store it once (+5GB on the cloud) and then, every time you add something new that weighs 10 MB for example (like a texture, a 3d model, scripts, etc.) then it will only store that file on the cloud and you will have 5.001 GB . It will not be the entire 5GB project saved for a second time.

If you have any concerns regarding the stability or difficulties you might encounter, we are always here for you. You can either post here in the forum and we will try to help you to the best of our ability or reach out to our support team https://www.plasticscm.com/support.

And lastly regarding concurrent machines, it is part of Unity Build Automation. You do not have to use it if you only want to use Unity Version Control. You will not be charged for it if you are not using it.

Hope it helps,

Jahangir

8. JGasimov

JGasimov

Unity Technologies

Hello @LilGames

Thank you for your questions.

1. By storage we mean only the storage in Plastic/Unity Version Control repos and changesets, but not the builds. This does not include anything that our build machines use, unless manually added when doing a backup.
    2 and 3. Free Tier gets a 1 concurrent machine and 200 build minutes.
    • The 1 concurrent machine is always free.
    • Free minutes reset every month.
    • One of the benefits of the Build history is the ability to test older packages and trace origins of bugs.
    4. That is not true, since we aim to provide the best quality with our products to incentivize users to choose our solutions. It is not to our benefit to have slow build process as it leads to customer dissatisfaction.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the calculator feature. We are working very hard to create confidence in our solutions by providing smooth and transparent experience. We will add this to our list of potential future improvements.

Hope this helps,

Jahangir

LilGames likes this.
  9. LilGames

LilGames

Thank you for replying. I wanted to clarify that I eventually found the usage pages for DevOps where you have actual graphs and usage costs, etc. This is accessed from the DevOps main overview Dashboard and through "Usage Reporting" under the Version Control sidebar menu.

Your sales page could include some screenshots of the graphs and other data you provide through the Dashboard, as an example.

Since the service isn't active for us yet, I can't really estimate, so yes, a calculator page like AWS and MS Azure provides would be helpful for cost projections. Of course I expect once Devops is up and running for our account and a billing cycle has passed we will have the info we need to see if we should reduce usage or not worry about it at all.

I realize this service transition isn't easy nor simple on your end and you must be dealing with many people who dont like change, so thanks again for taking the time to reply.

10. JGasimov

JGasimov

Unity Technologies

Thank you for understanding and suggestions @LilGames.

11. LilGames

LilGames

Also, today I found the "Budget Alerts" sections which is found under "Cost and Usage" where we can set up email alerts for different usage costs. Fantastic!

12. LilGames

LilGames

Will we get billed for failed builds? Sometimes Cloud Build fails due to our mistakes, but sometimes it fails because of something on your end. Who pays for that build time?

Another suggestion: We pay for 2 concurrent machines. I started a third build (something I do all the time) and although I think it queued up, it also triggered a warning at the top of the dashboard page, saying it canceled the build. I think it actually cancelled an existing in-progress build rather than just wait for a free machine. Any tips or insight into this?

13. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

This was covered in an announcement thread on the UCB forum a few months back. From my understanding, we pay.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/announcement-unity-teams-and-devops-vision.1277462/#post-8193093

But the process that Unity determines if a build fail is their issue (or not) is unclear. As is the process for attempting to reclaim the costs of failed builds.

I suspect they're hoping that a dollar here and a dollar there isn't worth peoples time and effort to try and reclaim, but it all adds up.

It's a huge step back imho and just adds to the costs and burden for indies and smaller studios. The complete opposite of what Cloud Build was supposed to achieve.

Of course if this is outdated\wrong or Unity have better plans in the works, we would all love to hear about it.

Last edited: May 29, 2023
  14. wrossmck-unity

wrossmck-unity

Unity Technologies

We're looking into a way to automatically determine when builds fail as a direct result of something caused by us and crediting for those builds. It's not ready yet but something that I want to introduce since we estimate that about 2% of build failures are due to the devops platform. This will give us extra motivation to make a more sturdy platform for folks to rely on.

I do want to be clear that failures that would happen on other devops solutions will remain as customer-paid forever since those failures have nothing to do with us (even if it's due to a bug in the editor, for example, since that failure would happen on another devops platform)

15. Gwom

Gwom

So i get:
    • Your first 5 GB of storage in the cloud = free
    But when i look at the dashboard for a few builds I see this - no clue if this means I am over the 5GB storage limit or not. Is this 60GB or do i have to divide it by a bunch of hours per week?

This whole thing is too confusing and feels a bit shifty...
    upload_2023-6-22_9-54-59.png

JDPerry likes this.
  16. wrossmck-unity

wrossmck-unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @Gwom, you're right: 60.887 GB-Hours is inside the free tier limit of 3720 GB-Hours monthly.

I understand this is confusing and have taken the feedback back to the team to help bring some extra clarity on the dashboard.

many cloud providers consider there to be 730 hours in a month (which is the annual average) but we chose to use 31 days (max days in a month) * 24 hours in a day = 744 hours in a month so that the 5GB per month will always be free even on long months. technically this means that you get a couple of extra free GB-Hours on the shorter months.

744 hours in a month * 5GB = 3720 GB-Hours free each month. so 60.887 is well inside the monthly free tier.

On average, you can use 24*5 = 120 GB-Hours per day and stay within the free tier. note that both new and existing storage contributes to the usage

JDPerry likes this.
  17. Gwom

Gwom

Thanks for the reply @wrossmck-unity - very useful, yes getting this information on the dashboard would help a lot of confusion, either by having a tool tip to show the way you calculate GB hours or by converting this into some kind of "this means you are paying for 100mb of storage this month" kind of thing - I think it is useful to bring it back to real file size numbers so people can know how much they need to free up.

JDPerry and zalogic like this.
  18. Waz

Waz

After reading all this, I still don't understand if builds contribute to storage costs (@wrossmck-unity seems to suggest so above) or not ("does not include anything that our build machines use" - @JGasimov). DevOps says my builds average 1.5GB - does that mean that if I have 4 builds (6GB) I'll pay for 1GB per month of storage?

19. wrossmck-unity

wrossmck-unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @Waz,

Builds count towards storage usage, although we are not calculating historical usage for long-time users.

further information:

If you create a build attempt, it will get scheduled on a buildmachine to build. the storage of that buildmachine is part of the machine type definition and the cost of that is per-minute for the duration of the build. After the build completes successfully, an artifact is produced. That artifact is saved to artifact storage and this is the storage that we are talking about in this thread. that storage is charged at a rate of $0.14 per GB per month.

More accurately, it is charged at $0.00019 per GB per hour that is is stored so that if you delete something at the start of the day then you only pay for it for the time it was stored and not for the whole day.)

using your example:

yes. if you have 4 builds you would accumulate 6GB of storage usage, and then you would pay for those. There are 5GB per month included in the free tier so you would only pay for 1GB. However, those new builds would not all exist at the very beginning of the month, most likely created throughout the month, so the true cost incurred would be less than 1GB because it's calculated as an average of the usage throughout the month.