Search Unity

Feedback DevLog Update 1 - Yet Unnamed RPG Game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Renanmgs, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Renanmgs

Renanmgs

This is a sequence post from this one.

Thanks for all the feedback! I Implemented GPU grass by DrawMeshInstanceIndirect with camera culling, thanks for u/ryanflees for the insight and the help.

This is a project that i dream long ago, and RPG inspired by the Souls Series, Ashen, Praey for the Gods, Zelda BotW, Below, Hellblade. So this is my main references.I dont have a name yet, or an unique mechanic.

I NEED IDEAS FOR UNIQUE MECHANICS!!

So my workflow now will be:

- Making Mixed Lighting work properly with the materials and everything , using all the power of HDRP (Checked)
    - Work on my own character development, making smooth animations and interactions
    - Think in some unique mechanic to my game, something that differs from the other games (like hellblade did with the soundFX).
    - Make vegetation Variation (Color, type, size), Fix LOD system.
    - Player bending vegetation
    - Scratch a LOT of ideas

References im using: Souls Series, Ashen, Praey for the Gods, Zelda BotW, Below, and my favorite game ever, i think : Hellblade

I just love this game, its unique in every aspect!

So te principals here that im looking : Ashen for the artstyle, Hellblade, BtoW and Below for the gameplay.

My premisse for the artstyle is the No use of Textures, just color (gradient and etc), ashen follows this path but uses some textures for the ground and etc.Right now im trying to do everything with just colors, in this exemple, the ground material is a triplanar color gradient based shader. Every plane has 2 colors blending based on the Y position the mesh. The ground blends in greens and browns, the rocks to merge the ground nicely by blending green and gray. The grasses has yellow-green in the base and light green on the top.

BUT

I feel the ground material empty, like, missing something, it dosent have weight! Any ideas? Since im not and designer, just a programmer, i dont have the ability to draw some textures, so:

Improvise. Adapt. Overcome

And thats why no textures and models like Ashen, witch i love anyway.

I made everything you can see in this video, less the character and his animations, the Tree. My pourpose is to be all made by hands, no buyed assets! Only all made by hand from scratch or using shared ideas and implementations. Any suggestion or critics?

Sorry bad english