Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Device Mirror in VR with Unity

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by dannox, Feb 7, 2019.

1. dannox

dannox

Hi all,
    I would like to mirror my tablet screen inside a VR application made in Unity, do you know if there is a strategy or an asset capable to do that?
    My idea is to interact with the application as the user wear the Oculus, so manipulating the tablet as it would be without the headset, and the images grabbed in VR from the tablet are taken for other activities.
    Thank you,

Daniele

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

What kind of tablet? And, will this tablet be running another Unity application you control, or do you need it to mirror literally anything the tablet is doing (including the home screen, playing videos, etc.)?

3. dannox

dannox

The tablet is an android. Indeed it could be only one an application that is connected, so only that application should be mirrored.

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

OK, if it's your application that is connected, then you can use a RenderCamera to pack up the view from that camera, and send it via networking to your VR app. (Or, depending on what exactly the tablet app is showing, there may be more efficient ways to describe its state so you can recreate it on your VR app, rather than sending a stream of images.)

It's a complicated project, but that's the general idea. Break it down into steps and tackle each one, and post back if you need help!

5. thelghome

thelghome

Tablet & Oculus GO VR headset?