Search Unity

Question Device category field

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by mathildeGeode, May 10, 2023.

1. mathildeGeode

mathildeGeode

Hi,

I'm using Snowflake via the Data Access feature in UGS, and I would like to obtain information about the category of the device, whether it's a mobile or a tablet. However, I cannot find any field in any view that provides me with this information.

Am I missing something? How can I obtain this value?

Thank you for your time,

Mathilde :)

2. RandolfKlemola

RandolfKlemola

Unity Technologies

Hi Mathilde,

Thanks for reaching out to the support team! You can find this information in your events table by querying the "platform" parameter. This is an example query that will show you all distinct users for each platform (note, the table may be different in your Snowflake account, but you can use this in SQL Data Explorer):

SELECT DISTINCT 
    EVENT_JSON:platform::STRING as "PLATFORM",
    COUNT(DISTINCT USER_ID)
    FROM
    EVENTS
    WHERE
    EVENT_NAME = 'clientDevice'
    GROUP BY
    1 ;

Best,
    Randy

3. mathildeGeode

mathildeGeode

Hello Randy,

I appreciate your prompt response and the information you provided about the device platform. It's been helpful in discerning whether the device in question runs on Android or iOS!

However, I'm still trying to ascertain the category of the device — specifically, whether it's a mobile phone or a tablet. Would there be any data or resources available that could aid in this regard?
    Any additional information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day,
    Best Regards,

4. RandolfKlemola

RandolfKlemola

Unity Technologies

Hi Mathilde,

Happy to hear that the query helped a bit! There is no specific parameter that tells you if it is a tablet or phone, however, there are some fields like "screenHeight", "screenWeight", and "screenResolution" that could potentially narrow that down, if you have the patience to figure out the heights and widths of tablets/phones for ANDROID/IOS.

For example, the query below might find all devices that have a height greater than "1200":

SELECT DISTINCT
    EVENT_JSON:[B]screenHeight[/B]::STRING as "HEIGHT",
    EVENT_JSON:platform::STRING as "PLATFORM",
    COUNT(DISTINCT USER_ID)
    FROM
    EVENTS
    WHERE
    EVENT_NAME = 'clientDevice'
    and HEIGHT > '1200'
    GROUP BY
    2;

Best,
    Randy

Let me know if this helps at all!

Best,
    Randy

5. mathildeGeode

mathildeGeode

Hi Randy, thanks for your help!

However, it's quite regrettable that such crucial information isn’t being tracked.

May I inquire if there are future plans to make this information more readily available?

Moreover, I'm curious to know how other developers are managing to calculate and/or access this information. Is there a common approach they are utilising that you could share with me?

Wishing you a wonderful day,

6. RandolfKlemola

RandolfKlemola

Unity Technologies

Hi again!

I'll take your feedback regarding the type of device and share that with our team, it may be included in a future release!

I haven't heard such an ask before, to be honest, so you might have to be a pioneer in this department. Can I ask the reason you're looking to differentiate the difference between tablet & phone?

Best,
    Randy

7. MiTschMR

MiTschMR

With the separation I would (more likely) know who is a casual "at home" player (most people use tablets at home) and who is a "I have some free time to spare" (which is more common with phone users).

mathildeGeode likes this.
  8. mathildeGeode

mathildeGeode

Hi Randy,

An important point we wish to emphasize is the differentiation in user behavior between tablet and smartphone platforms.
    Our applications cater to a diverse user base, and we've observed that the objectives of players vary depending on the device they're using.

In particular, we've noticed that players on tablets often use our application for different purposes than those on smartphones. Recognizing these distinct usage patterns is not just beneficial—it is fundamental to our work. This understanding allows us to more effectively identify, debug, and resolve any potential issues or crashes.

Moreover, by tailoring our app to the unique needs of both tablet and smartphone users, we can enhance the user experience and increase the overall performance of our application across all devices.

For these reasons, we strongly believe that this improvement could also provide significant benefits to others. We eagerly anticipate its implementation in UGS in the near future!

Best regards,

RandolfKlemola likes this.