Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Device Analytics

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by any_user, Feb 18, 2015.

1. any_user

any_user

Is there a way to track device type/generation, OS version of the players?

Useful information would be:
    - Device type, generation
    - OS and version
    - RAM
    - resolution
    - architecture (32/64)

Ideally this would be built-in, but it would already be great if we could at least track custom user attributes to do this manually.

Is any of this planned?

2. angeloferro

angeloferro

Hey @any_user,

Thanks for the suggestion, we don't have that data available yet, however you can collect some of this data from the Unity editor (more info here: http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/SystemInfo.html).

Is your use case to create a segment based on device data? We are working on a feature that would allow you to create segments based on custom event data (once that feature is finished). So, you could create a custom event that passes device data (from the Unity editor) to Unity Analytics, which would allow you to build a segment of players using a specific device or OS version.

3. any_user

any_user

Ok, I'll look into it.

One thing I don't understand about how analytics is supposed to work (in general, not just unity analytics): If I want to track data that probably never changes (or not very often, in case of resolutions in a standalone build), what's the "right" way to do it? Just send events about the configuration every time the game starts? Does that not pollute the data in some way?

I only want the last sent value to be relevant at any point, to have data like "at feb 17, x of my users are using iOS 8" or something like that. I always assumed user attributes would be intuitively the right thing to use for that, but I'm not so sure anymore.

4. JaviCaruso

JaviCaruso

Hey guys, any update on this? will be a really good report

5. mpinol

mpinol

Hi @JaviCaruso,

If you want to check how many users are on a particular device, or OS type, you can create a custom segment with a rule of, 'User platform is' and then select any particular device you would to track. You could also create custom events that send this information on the players first launch of your game. Here is a link of how you collect this data to send, http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/SystemInfo.html

We are currently working on expanding into the functionality any_user was asking about but we do not have a concrete release date. It will be announced as soon as it is available.

I hope this helps!

Attached Files:

JaviCaruso likes this.
  6. Simon_says

Simon_says

What about device intelligence feature that was presented on Unite Europe 2015 in this video (3:30)?

Is this feature going to be available in the near future? I see on the presentation there's "5.3" label which I think stands for unity version when it will be available, but I don't see anything about it in the official roadmap.

7. mpinol

mpinol

Hi @Simon_says

We are currently working on this and are hoping to have it out with 5.3. Since 5.2 is still in Beta it will be a short while before we are ready to release this feature.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Unity 5.3 is due tomorrow, will Device Intelligence be ready when that happens? Really looking forward to using it. :):)

9. mpinol

mpinol

Hi @CDDelta,

Device Intelligence is still in closed Beta so it will not be available in 5.3. However, if you are interested in the possibility of trying out the enterprise version you can send me a PM and I will pass your information on to the correct people!

Deleted User likes this.
  10. Simon_says

Simon_says

There was a presentation about device intelligence again on GDC, and it looks promising, so will it finally happen in 5.4 or still closed beta?

11. mpinol

mpinol

Hey @Simon_says,

I cannot really say whether device intelligence will make it into 5.4 but we are going to continue the closed beta for a little while longer to make sure it is ready before we ship it out.

12. Stormy102

Stormy102

Any ETA on this? Really wanna get my hands on it :cool::)

13. erika_d

erika_d

Hi @Stormy102,

We are so happy to hear your enthusiasm for this feature! We don't at this time have any additional information on when it may be released, but we will be sure to make an announcement when we do! :)

Stormy102 likes this.
  14. pixxelbob

pixxelbob

We're using HockeyApp which allows us a really nice overview of devices and OS versions users are using the game on, it can also automatically provide crash reports.
    Unfortunately Unity Analytics just isnt powerful enough for a production environment just yet. I look forward to future improvements.

15. bzAdam

bzAdam

Hi, is there any update on this? The info in the video looks great, when might we see it?

16. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @bzAdam,

We're glad to hear you're excited about Device Intelligence. Currently, it is still in closed beta. We don't have any information about when it'll be released, but we will make an announcement when it is ready.

17. darasan

darasan

7 months on - any update on this? Even a rough ETA would be great, thank you!