Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Development Tools for my Puzzle Game are Complete, How Should I proceed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eketeq, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Eketeq

Eketeq

I am developing a 3d block-pushing puzzle game which, for the time being, is called "Orthot II". The goal in the game is to travel through puzzles, interacting with puzzle blocks along the way. Each puzzle is its own challenge, and can be anything that can be constructed out of basic elements, such as mazes, dodging enemies and other dangerous objects, and Sokoban-like puzzles. All of this is done, not just with 3d graphics, but with 3d elements, which apparently, is quite rare in the genre (which makes me think "worth doing").

As the title suggests, it is the second version of my first published game, "OrThought", which means I have a playable prototype (eketech.com/games/orthought.html).

I have reached the project's first major milestone: The level editor for it is now complete enough to produce almost everything that will appear in the game. For now and for simplicity's sake, the editor uses the same graphics code that Orthot II will use, so I can produce useful screenshots with it:

$o2_editor1.png

I have not decided how to go forward with the project. I am a programmer and can and will accomplish that part of the work. However, my ability to handle texturing, modeling, animation, sound, music, and interface design, is quite limited, though, in theory, better than it was in 2009 when I made OrThought. I figure that here is as good a place as any to look for a solution to the "programmer art" problem. At present, I am thinking collaboration, investment through an interested business, or crowd-funding (meaning I am not sure which approach to start with, and my assessment of the situation is greatly biased toward self).

I am interested in comments and advice. I am even more interested in knowing if others are interested in the project (and what sort of interest there is in it).

2. huxley

huxley

You could always create a demo and go the croudsourcing route as you say. There is also an active collaboration community here in
    The unity forms, maybe if you post what your looking for and a pretty clear about what the other party will recieve. I've gotten help from people here that didn't even what anything in return, they just wanted to give back.

The art for a block game seems like it would be pretty easy for an accomplished 3d artist to complete, so it should just be a matter of finding someone who has as much interest in the project as you already do.

unityunity