Search Unity

Development in 4.6 beta waiting for 4.6f release

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Muttley72, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Muttley72

Muttley72

I'm at a crossroads in keep on working with NGUI or switching towards uGUI now, reengineering the work done until now and developing the missing UI with uGUI. Provided that I won't go in production until the end of the year (and by that time having the 4.6 final or more available) I'm wondering what level of confidence there could be in migrating my project from 4.5 to 4.6 beta, developing with the beta and then apply version 4.6f when released.
    Someone sees the risk of issues that could lead to corruption of the project once it will be loaded in 4.6 final?
    (Apart those related to using uGUI at this stage of its dev cycle)

2. StarManta

StarManta

If you're not planning to release in the next, say, month or two, then it's not particularly risky.

You should always back up your project file before upgrading to a new version, but that's not really related to being beta, that's something you should always do.

3. Muttley72

Muttley72

Thanks. About backups for sure I can't live without a backup on a portable encrypted HD and on the Cloud after each working day and before any Unity release project upgrade :)

StarManta likes this.
  4. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

It's always possible something is going to break when you change something - that's just an inherent risk when you change things - and it's possible something will break between the current beta and the final release. But I'd say it's pretty low-risk in this case; moving from 4.5 to 4.6 doesn't change much beyond adding the UI system, and 4.6 is at beta 17 - it has had seventeen iterations based on feedback and bugs from the beta test group, and I don't even remember how many iterations with the alpha group before that - so the odds of there being drastic changes at this point are low.

5. Muttley72

Muttley72

Thanks superpig