Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Development Build with UCB?

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by Havenly, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Havenly

Havenly

I'm trying to make a development WebGL build with Cloud Build. This would be exactly identical to checking "Development Build" in the WebGL Build Settings on my local machine.

I can't find any settings within the UCB dashboard to do this. And it appears that changes to the build settings are not committed to version control, so do not affect UCB builds.

How can I make a development build with UCB?

Note: I realize that I can make builds locally and upload them to UCB. However, we have a quite complicated CI/CD workflow where we stitch together our Unity app and a react app and automatically host it via S3. We have all this hooked up to the webhook from UCB, so it's automated end-to-end - and I don't believe uploading builds triggers the webhook. I also don't want to freeze my local Unity instance for 10+ minutes every time I want to make a build.

2. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

Hi @Havenly,

Thanks for reaching out.

Unfortunately, WebGL development builds are not currently supported on Cloud Build due to the high overhead of hosting them.

Hope this helps!

3. Havenly

Havenly

Thanks @ollieblanks!

I kind of figured, so we worked out an unfortunate workaround.

As I'm sure you've heard from many other developers - there are whole threads on it - we do not care at all about Unity hosting builds for us. It's frustrating, and I honestly wish you'd just remove that entirely, because that seems to be an excuse for why a lot of things in UCB are unsupported. We aren't looking for a hosting service - we're looking for, and paying for, a cloud build service. We hope that some day the cloud build service will be able to do everything that building locally can do.