Search Unity

Developer Success Stories

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VNL-Entertainment-Games, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

And if it's not finished and published in the market you aren't a game developer either.

(For the record I've hit game developer status, but not successful game developer status)

theANMATOR2b and zombiegorilla like this.
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Whilst I agree, you can never go wrong with learning DX / GL as it's the foundation of any engine / game.. It's also never a bad idea to research frameworks, a lot of current game design / architecture / techniques I learnt from different engines and examples.

Sure it hasn't changed that much but the way UE does stuff opposed to Unity opened a lot of doors, trick is not to let it get in the way of development. So maybe once in a blue moon, take a week to open the windows and see what's going on outside.

Ultimately you do what you gotta do, sweeping through the Unity learn videos would probably suit you better if making an RPG than pong ever would.

3. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Game developer who is successful?
    Developer of a successful game?
    Who defines success?

I think I have succeeded in game development, but that's because my goal was to finish a small game and have more than 10 people play, rate & comment.

As of now, > 400 people have at least viewed the game.

When I get the time, I want to do a game several times better.

Whatevs tho.

Someone can always say "you aren't successful" e.g. A developer with 200,000 downloads can talk trash on here, but a developer with 1,000,000 sales can say Mr. 200,000 is a failure, and then someone who forged their own indie studio and has released a few good indie titles can call everyone a failure.

It's all relative, as long as you realize what words and stuff mean.

This thread is tops, though, because the OP has trolled y'all into admitting you are all failures, simply by the way he worded it... hobbyists, indies and anyone who hasn't made a ton o' money is NOT successful in his premise.

Carry on dancin

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    GarBenjamin and theANMATOR2b like this.
  4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

jprocha101 and Ryiah like this.
  5. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Pretty much this simple. Like any art form/creative profession, the creator is defined by their work.

Kiwasi and dogzerx2 like this.
  6. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Hmmmmm, so to sum it up:
    Pages: 4
    Success stories: 1
    Heart shattering stories: 1

This ain't looking too good, lol. What I get from this is... it's gonna be what's gonna be, there's no way to know. Not being already established in the market for years you have little to none power regarding your economic success, and that's the game market for you.
    Which is ok, I don't expect anything to be easy. But I was hoping some people saying "I made these games, worked hard, but I'm doing fine, here's a link to my games".

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User

It is all relative, but not as negative as the connotations imply in your reply. For some it might be the thrill of completing a challenge that equates success. Simply doing something and sharing progress is good enough for me to determine a developers worth.. But the odd thing is, some of these discussions come from zero background meaning I've not seen any work from them, like zilch not even a small WIP showcase.

@dogzerx2

I've done fine out of beta's, I mean it keeps me going so I don't complain.. I'm not the only one, I know of an MMO in beta which might be off most people's radar but just had a large sum infused into the project through various sources. Which again in my book is a success, can't wait to see what happens when it actually gets released.

It's not always about the big instant gratification, sure it's nice and all. But I treat it like anything else, a starting point to work your way up.. Even if the game flops, I'd just be happy knowing it made some people happy..

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2015
    Master-Frog and dogzerx2 like this.
  8. neginfinity

neginfinity

I'd expect those kinds of guys to be too busy to bother with any kind of forums.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Actually some of the most successful dev's here have a ridiculous post count.. Ask @hippocoder, not sure how they get anything done :D..

Ryiah likes this.
  10. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Well, I hope my game helps someone make a long trip a bit shorter, or some mild casual fun while waiting for something. It's designed that way... no login, no fancy menus, its seconds from load time to start playing.

But what I 'really' hope is that if it's a flop in sales... at least it's not so much of a flop that it's not even good to cross advertise other games. My fighting chance here is to make very best possible screenshot and gameplay videos, and a very accesible price, a very low risk purchase, and aim most possible downloads and perhaps improve ratings this way.

11. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

@zombiegorilla dosen't count? Your definition of success is harsh...

12. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

it's not really a personal thing, its all there in the first post

13. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Oops. It does count, changed the counter lol. But his is a 20-30 years story, which is awesome! But I guess I was hoping for something nublets like me could relate to a bit more in a shorter term.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  14. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

It was just under 5 years before I was making a living at it. About the 10 year mark I had my first successful studio and was making a really good living. (Most years). From others I know that is about average for serious developers, about 5-10 years to really hit your stride. Only in the last 10 have I not actually been independent. After a couple decades the indie thing gets old.

dogzerx2 and Master-Frog like this.
  15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Well, my pattern isn't I stay on the forums, just flash by. I'll post this then be gone another 2 hours which means only 20 seconds were lost!

16. Farelle

Farelle

I think the time for younger generations success stories is not here yet :) From all I could see is that there seems to be a certain age when success is more "likely" simply due to gathered experience and skill, which means every generation has a time to rise and shine, kinda. So it's not surprising that if we read stories about successfull people that they are most likely from the last generation that grew up with commodore 64 etc.

Master-Frog, dogzerx2 and Kiwasi like this.
  17. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Our time is not yet.

The age of the epic graybeards is ending. The time of the hipster indie is at hand. A time will come when the world shall call upon our weirdness, and we will answer that call.

Soon, my friends. Aeryn Sun.

18. aer0ace

aer0ace

I feel like I'm in-between greybeards and hipsters. I guess I'm SOL.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  19. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I think the hipsters are already making games. Some popular games I mean. Really doesn't matter whether you're younger inexperienced hipster or an older very experienced Gandalf. I definitely think the longer someone sticks with it the greater the odds are they will find success. But the luck can happen to the 16 year old noob and the 60 year old noob the same as it can for the 40 year old experienced person.

20. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

IMO ultimate indie hipster is Phill Fish. Made likely the best retro indie game in his time (started before it was popular to make retro indie games). And now he wont make Fez 2 for mysterious reasons... which I can only conclude is because it got too mainstream.

GarBenjamin and Master-Frog like this.
  21. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Totally. This has been true since Adam was a boy. (Or Lucy was a girl if you prefer). The young are always in the process of taking over the world. By the time they finish they are old and some new kid is preparing to take over from them.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    Master-Frog and GarBenjamin like this.
  22. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

So has it always been, so shall it always be.

One master, one apprentice.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    Kiwasi likes this.
  23. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

24. Farelle

Farelle

25. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Infrequent visits, picky selection of threads with maximum potential response impact, run in a tabbed browser.

Though I'm guessing that the hip hippo doesn't frequent many other forums than this one, given his post count.

Also everyone is wrong. Buh-bye!