Search Unity

Develop Android app then purchase Android pack to deploy?

Discussion in 'Android' started by YorkshirePudding, Apr 10, 2013.

1. YorkshirePudding

YorkshirePudding

Hi Guys,

I'm currently using Shiva 3D to develop a game of mine, I'm about half way through development and I've just found out that Stonetrip has gone into liquidation! I don't want to invest any more time into Shiva 3D if the future is uncertain, so I'm looking into Unity.

My question is this, can I download the free version of Unity and develop my game with it, then in the near future purchase the Android extension and carry on as normal. Or will I need to purchase this before I can get into development. So essentially the question is, does the Android extension only give you the capability to publish to Android or does it contain components that are required to go ahead.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to working Unity and being a contributing part of the community.

2. coolpowers

coolpowers

You can work with Unity for free; you'll need an Android add-on to test on hardware (and use Android-specific features) before publishing. You'll definitely want to account for the time needed to make sure your game is running properly on hardware once you buy the license, but you can still make sure it's running correctly on your desktop or in-editor without buying anything.

3. YorkshirePudding

YorkshirePudding

Ahh, excellent, thank you for the clarification.