Search Unity

(Dev Diary) Dungeon Fighter - A Crawler/RPG

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by AlexZ, May 14, 2012.

1. virror

virror

I know, but i will leave them as an inspiration for anyone who will try to complete the dungeon ; )

2. AlexZ

AlexZ

Hehe, only you have access to the items in your chest. Its split half way, so when a player dies, half goes into the public chest that everyone can access, half goes into your personal chest that you alone can access in your Forge

3. nofosu1

nofosu1

I like that Idea of the in Dungeon Arena, this will give people more reason to get both games, as well as recommend it to their friends because they'd like to play with them. Playing with a friend fighting against a horde of enemies will always be a fun experience. Your Idea for investment doesn't sound bad either, as long as you get the traffic to your site you should be fine.

4. AlexZ

AlexZ

Okay its fixed. Dungeon Forge is now public again.

5. AlexZ

AlexZ

Our new traps, coming soon:

6. ludiares

ludiares

Isn't there any other option to login that isn't via facebook?

7. AlexZ

AlexZ

We will be adding Google login shortly. For now if you do not want to login but play, there is guest mode.

8. ludiares

ludiares

I think i will stay as guest until you add google mode. Thanks for the quick answer. :)

9. AlexZ

AlexZ

Np, please let me know what you think of the game :)

10. ludiares

ludiares

It's an awesome idea, well developed, and i like even more the idea of transferring materials between games. The login system is the only thing thats is not as good as the game, but it's just a bit developed. I'm sure everything will be even better

11. AlexZ

AlexZ

Thanks for the nice feedback ludiares! :D

12. AlexZ

AlexZ

Week Updates

1. Bugs Bundles
    This week we are again mostly handling bug fixes that have come up from putting our minion assets into asset bundles. Since we are dynamically composing most our objects now, certain values are not set correctly, and bugs arise.

Beyond the bugs we are converting the rest of our assets into bundles. This is week 3 of this conversion process. Hopefully we finish soon!

Once all our asset bundles are ready. We will have smart streaming. Meaning, the game detects what assets the dungeon is using which you are going into, and only downloads those if not cached already.

Loading the game over all should be much faster, and smoother.

2. Dungeon Fighter Android
    We have also begun to port over Dungeon Fighter to Android. Seems fairly smooth so far. If this continues we should see a working version in a few weeks.

3. New Controller
    We are working on implementing a new more traditional RPG style character controller and camera. We are thinking of offering a choice between the current and traditional at the start of the tutorial.

4. We are upgrading our Boss Lair
    It will feature a better looking escape portal.
    This is how it looks currently

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  13. ludiares

ludiares

Awesome!

14. virror

virror

Nice!
    How about those loot all buttons? : )
    They are essential, otherwise it gets way to tiresome after a while : p

15. AlexZ

AlexZ

They are scheduled, but only after we finish the bugs/bundles. So it might be a few weeks unfortunately. We are just two coders on this game, so things move a bit slow :/

16. AlexZ

AlexZ

I am thinking of changing the scene composition/color and lighting. Making it more colorful and brighter, or just over all more contrast.

What do you guys think about that?

And how should I go about it? Shader? Or is there a way to bake on lighting runtime after my tile based world has loaded.. hmmmm.. *thinks*..

17. AlexZ

AlexZ

Hey guys, a new video featuring the Warrior Tutorial.

With new voice overs and motion captures.

18. ludiares

ludiares

Maybe it's just em, but levels take ages to load.

19. AlexZ

AlexZ

No, not just you. The game is currently around 60mb in one big asset bundle. After about 5 weeks of work, we finnaly managed to bring it down to just a few mb in size, and everything in our game broken down into an individual asset bundle, being composed runtime.

This now makes load times very very fast. This version is still not public as this process has created many bugs and changes in original game behaviour which we are still fixing.

This is also why I haven't posted an updated in about 2 weeks. I hope to have this version published this week or next! please stand by.

Thanks all

20. stolenpadstudio

stolenpadstudio

21. AlexZ

AlexZ

Thank you :)

We have published a version with the updated asset bundles. Now the assets are streamed in the background asynchronously. There are still some bugs due to this change, but the big ones are fixed.

22. AlexZ

AlexZ

Here is a screenshot of our assets being streamed in as the elevator lowers into the dungeon.

We also changed our lighting and fog to give it a hopefully better mood.

23. AlexZ

AlexZ

Hey everyone, our Facebook game just got approved for listing, but It wont be listed in the Facebook App Center until it gets some good ratings. Could I please get a hand from everyone? Try it out, give it a rating please :)

https://apps.facebook.com/dungeonfighter/

24. AlexZ

AlexZ

This week I continued to improve the lighting and fix asset bundle bugs. Here is a video I just put together showing 5 of the warriors skills.

and some screen shots:

25. AlexZ

AlexZ

Hey guys Its been a while since our last update. Been focusing mostly on our new upcoming Beta; Tuner Extreme.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/14...race-tracks-and-ask-your-friends-to-play-them!

But we have been developing our Dungeon Series games as well. Here is what we have been doing:

• Porting crafting from html5 into Unity, so that we can get the game working on Android IOS.
    • Crafting will now be a mini game involving a 3d hammer that you have to aim and hit the crafted item with, the more accuracy you have, the better quality craft you create!
    • Creating a campaign mode so that players can fight over nodes on the map and mine for precious materials.
    • Many Bug fixes. Players can unlock and progress through the top campaign nodes.
    • Fixing some annoying crash bugs with Dungeon Forge.

Also, its picking up a bit of steam on Facebook in the past two weeks, jumping from 300 MOA, to 1500, seeing 100+ plays a day, which is nice :D

Edit: We were also reviewed on Gaming Site Replaying!! (its in German, English translation link below): http://www.replaying.de/dungeon-fighter/dungeon-fighter-pc-android-ios/.

Here is the English translation link:

http://translate.google.com/transla...ghter/dungeon-fighter-pc-android-ios/&act=url

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  26. AlexZ

AlexZ

Hey Guys,

We have been working on porting over our web crafting system, into an in game crafting system. One of the steps required in our grand mobile port.

Here is what we have so far.

• Players can mix match resources such as iron and lumber
    • Once a player selects a craft, they queue it.
    • When the queue timer is complete, it is time for the craft challenge
    • The craft challenge is a simple mini game where a hammer randomly hovers over a shield on an anvil.
    • The closer the player strikes the hammer to the centre of the shield, the higher quality of a craft the player gets.
    • This quality is averaged over 3 hits.

Here is our progress in screenshots:

27. AlexZ

AlexZ

28. AlexZ

AlexZ

Just finished!

and only 9 draw calls :)

29. virror

virror

Looks very nice : D

30. virror

virror

Seems to be some bugs at least with the tutorial level.
    First note is not visible, might want to fix that to not scare new players away : p
    Also im getting a lot of Null reference errors at the start.