Search Unity

(Dev Diary) Dungeon Fighter - A Crawler/RPG

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by AlexZ, May 14, 2012.

1. AlexZ

AlexZ

Hey guys,

Please visit the link to play the open beta.
    http://socialplay.com/DungeonFighterInfo.aspx

Dungeon Fighter Key features (Now Open Beta)
    • 3D dungeon crawler.
    • Web, Guest and Facebook play.
    • Over 50,000 items to collect and level up with. Looking at doubling that soon.
    • Two classes for now, Mage and Warrior. Will be adding more.
    • Character leveling, unlock new items or skills.
    • Dozens of Skill Scrolls. These are items, which when dragged into your hot bar, give your character new abilities. You can combine 5 skills to create a warrior type that no one has seen before. You can loot these skills off dead enemies.
    • Detailed crafting system, discover new recipes, craft unique items with a rare chance for a powerful added ability. Craft your own more powerful skill scrolls.
    • Different enemy types and bosses to fight.
    • When defeating the dungeon by defeating the final boss, you are able to unlock the treasure chest. This gives you access to any loot a previously defeated player has dropped.
    • Reach level 10 and unlock access to early private beta of Dungeon Forge, build your own dungeon and add it to the live list of playable dungeons!

I'm an ex-college game dev instructor and with two students we started working on this game. I wanted to make two separate games that work with each other to create player driven content for each other. If that's a mouth-full please read below how it works.

Latest Video (June 21st, 2012):

How it works:

Dungeon Fighter which is an RPG allows players to explore dungeons that are entirely created by other players in Dungeon Forge, a Building Sim Game.

While in Dungeon Forge, the player builds a dungeon to try defeating real invading players. Once they defeat an invading player, the dungeon owner can take the loot the invading player collected.

Items are transferable in between games. So if you kill a boss in Fighter, and you find a nice sword or armor. You can then go in Forge and equip it to your dungeon boss, making your dungeon harder. Vice versa, if your dungeon defeats for example 10 players today, you get to keep the equipment they looted and dropped in your dungeon. So if you collect 5 health pots, you can use those in Fighter.

Its like an fps that used a farm made in Farmville as the map. Cross-Game socially driven content.

That's the core idea. In this dev diary I will be focusing though mostly on Dungeon Fighter. Since we are releasing it first with about 10 pre-made dungeons. You can unlock early access to Forge by reaching level 10 in Fighter and add your own dungeon to that list.

Please follow or news feeds to hear it first:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/SocialPlay/162944280403699
    https://twitter.com/#!/SocialPlayGames

Please visit the link to play.

If you do not want to use Facebook login, please use guest mode. We only use facebook to save persistent data. Never to spam. Guest mode is temp.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  2. AlexZ

AlexZ

Even though we started developing this about a year ago, I will start from last week with our updates.

• Finished all the mocap recordings for the Mage and Warrior with our dual kinect rig.
    • Implemented the new mocaps; Idle, run, and the various attacks look much better now.
    • Added voice overs for the tutorial notes, warrior, mage and quest objectives - friends volunteered to be the voice actor. Sounds pretty good so far.
    • Started work on 3 new traps for forge.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  3. AlexZ

AlexZ

latest video:

Working on a few more.

4. AlexZ

AlexZ

Dungeon Fighter Key features (Now Open Beta)
    • Web and Facebook play, Mobile in future.
    • Over 50,000 items to collect and level up with. Looking at doubling that soon.
    • Two classes for now, Mage and Warrior. Will be adding more.
    • Character leveling, unlock new items or skills.
    • Dozens of Skill Scrolls. These are items, which when dragged into your hot bar, give your character new abilities. You can combine 5 skills to create a warrior type that no one has seen before. You can loot these skills off dead enemies.
    • Detailed crafting system, discover new recipes, craft unique items with a rare chance for a powerful added ability. Craft your own more powerful skill scrolls.
    • Different enemy types and bosses to fight.

Please visit the link to play.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  5. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

looks cool, will check back for updates

6. virror

virror

Looks very nice. How will this work when released?
    Micro transactions, free or what?

7. sirenpro

sirenpro

Game looks good for sure.

8. AlexZ

AlexZ

Thanks guys :D

The game will be free to play and using micro-transactions, but anything that goes for sale which is an item, can also be crafted if you discover the right recipe, have the right ingredients, and are good/lucky enough to make a quality craft.

9. ludiares

ludiares

It would work like tf2, right?
    Anyway, going to keep a look at this. Seems promising

10. AlexZ

AlexZ

I only had a chance to play the original tf. I am not too sure how the new features work in tf2, but, our crafting system is more like the alchemy games you see on mobile. You mix match different ingredients with different amounts until you discover a new recipe.

Thanks for the feedback! :D

11. virror

virror

Very nice game : )

Loading the game is very strange, first it stands a while on 100%, then it stands a while on loading complete, then it stands a while on only background, then it stands a while after loading the mage, well, you get the point : p

Then you should not use text box for displaying text, its strange when you get a cursor when clicking on it, use a box or something else instead : ) Looks like we are using the same GUI style : p

Mouse movement feels a bit strange for some reason, not slow, but like the mouse was in syrup or something : p

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  12. AlexZ

AlexZ

Thank you for the detailed feed back :D

Yeah we are in a long process of converting our game into dozens of little asset bundles from one large build, since we set-up the caching license. Should be done hopefully in the next two weeks, loading should be smooth at that point.

Yep we use an altered necromancer skin. Its great. We started with it in our alpha, and its just stuck with the game, its an nice fit I think. Hmm yeah so a box instead of a text box, ill give that a try, ty. I often did notice people trying to type in new values for their character stats lol.

Hmm I'm not sure why the mouse movement feels like that, I will have to look into it.

Thanks again, any future feed back is welcome!

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  13. kalamona

kalamona

Wow, I see you used some of my effects :) (dynamic elements) May I ask, were they good enough and easy to use?

14. MMikael

MMikael

After tutorial my computer crash. I haw to reboot my computer. I use opera and game runs really slow in it.

15. AlexZ

AlexZ

Yes they are great!, plz make more :D

16. AlexZ

AlexZ

Sorry to hear that, what are your computer specs? Did you try lowering graphics settings to fastest?

17. AlexZ

AlexZ

Here is a video demonstrating how crafting works:

18. Lancemaker_

Lancemaker_

nice vid. Using other games to gather resources is a good idea.

19. stefmen

stefmen

nice particle effects!

20. virror

virror

Very cool idea to share items between games : )
    Any plans to share players with stats, equipment and so on as well between games?

The fighter game keeps crashing my browser all the time : /

Edit: Game is very nice : D
    Wishlist:
    Take all from chests
    Fullscreen in webplayer

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  21. AlexZ

AlexZ

Yes. It is a system and API for 3rd party developers we are finalizing and releasing soon. Ill be putting a video series together on how it works.

Hmm, does it randomly crash? or is it with certain events? what browser?

If you go to menu, there is a full screen button :D

I think we will be adding a transfer all between inventory, vault, and chest. should help with the stack-ables.

Thanks for the feedback and playing! :D

22. virror

virror

It crashes randomly, sometimes at loading, sometimes after playing a while, very different. Using latest version of FireFox.

How do i unlock the DungeonForge now that I'm lvl13? : D
    (My char is Victor : p)

23. AlexZ

AlexZ

Hmmm, is the unity player locking up and crashing in the browser? or the browser crashing?

To play dungeon forge after reaching lvl 10, just go to the dungeon forge link, and it should give you access. Keep in mind this is in early stages and is buggy :p

24. Train

Train

This is a very good start, when you need music for this game, you can ask myselfe :)

25. AlexZ

AlexZ

Thank you! :) what were you thinking in regards for music?

26. Train

Train

27. virror

virror

DungeonForge tells me i dont have beta access. It seems its the webplayer that makes everything freeze, cause force closing that makes ff works again.

Edit: And to add some other stuff as well:
    The game sometimes fails to load for me, most of the time it happens it stops after the magician has loaded.
    Also it often wont let me in to certain dungeons, saying that my character is not allowed.
    Bigger menu would be nice, buttons are very small.
    When recycling a stack, a "recycle all" button would help a lot.

Is there any better swords than the steel sword and better armor than the steal/iron one atm? : D

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  28. AlexZ

AlexZ

Sounds pretty good :) We purchased a few royalty free music packs that we are using currently. But when the time comes for custom music ill be sure to keep you in mind. Thanks!

29. AlexZ

AlexZ

Oh yes, it was bugged, should be fixed now and you should have access to Forge. :D

The failed load is an issue due to our asset bundle transition, should be fixed soon.

Could you please take a screenshot when it wont let you go into certain dungeons?

Good point about the menu buttons, making them twice as big now. As well as a recycle all button :D Thanks!

30. virror

virror

Access is working now, thanx : )
    Will post a screen if i manage to get the error again, but not a single one today though.

Edit: One more thing, the big statue has a very annoyingly square collider : p

31. AlexZ

AlexZ

Sweet! :D

Also, Forge currently has unlimited resources, during the early beta phase, to allow easy testing.

Hmm which statue? is it the serpent lair(the building of the serpents that shoot the green beams)?

32. virror

virror

Probably that : p itss round on the back but still have a square collider, keep getting stuck there all the time : p

How do i use the creator? Just managed to place a starting point, how do i dig?

33. AlexZ

AlexZ

Lol sorry we still have yet to make a tutorial for it. Here are the steps:

1. Place a starting point
    2. Place an imp lair, each one gives you one imp to dig with (they dig very fast during early beta).
    3. Click blocks to dig.
    4. Most buildings need a 3x3 area, such as the research building (to research new buildings, minons, traps), lairs, boss.
    5. You can place boosters around lairs, to upgrade the minions of that lair.

34. AlexZ

AlexZ

Looking forward to trying out your dungeon, let me know when you put it up :D

35. AlexZ

AlexZ

This weeks update just went live :D

Updates:

• Asset bundle stream manager, shows progress bar for anything streaming in.
    • Fire Trap does a much greater amount of damage.
    • 60% of the assets are now being streamed in, maybe another week to go before 100%.
    • Minions now attack more aggressively, still bugged in groups though.
    • Some players have unlocked Forge and are starting to build their own dungeons!
    • Game is now on Facebook: https://apps.facebook.com/dungeonfighter/
    • New character select platform, not finished.
    • gfx settings now save in player prefs

36. virror

virror

Very nice : )
    Do the minion attack fix also affects bosses? They seem very slow to attack, often they wont attack at all. Also they are waaaay to weak for a boss, should have at least twice the hp ; )

New dungeon : )
    Lol, looks like its a high level one : p

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  37. Norton084

Norton084

Nice to see RPG! I thought that its impossible to do RPG in this engine heh I was wrong, looks very nice!

Good luck!

38. virror

virror

Plenty of RPGs being made with this engine. Not hard at all, engine are not limited to anything. Its all up to the developer in the end : )

39. virror

virror

Some more bugs i found:
    Enemies can move through walls
    When one char (warrior) has a life steal weapon, the other char (mage) gets life steal as well
    Exp bar is broken, so no way to know how far to next level
    Most of the time when i fall down a pit, i take no damage, seems like i land on the side of the pit, so im down in it but not on the spikes

40. AlexZ

AlexZ

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was away on a trip to NYC, now that I'm back ill update the post shortly.

Virror:

I'm trying to replicate those bugs now. Could I also get some more detail on the exp bar bug? how is it broken?

Thanks

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  41. virror

virror

For me the exp bar is always around 2-5% full only, and the i suddenly level up, so its impossible to see how much exp i have/need.
    Great game and concept though : )

42. EnigmaFactory

EnigmaFactory

Looking great! Excellent work. I'm curious, what software package / what is your pipeline for the dual Kinect mo-cap? We've been researching options, but there isn't much information about software that plays well with Unity.

Keep up the great work!

43. nofosu1

nofosu1

Very interesting concept. the game is looking good as well. I'm really interested to see how the dynamic of the game will change when you release the second one.

Will definitely keep my eyes out on this one

44. AlexZ

AlexZ

Oh that's very interesting, I've reported that bug hopefully we can replicate it here.

Good job on your dungeon, the key placement makes it pretty tricky, I have yet to beat it. Also looks like other were having a hard time beating it as well, your chest racked up about 30,000 coins worth of items until it was beat by someone this morning :p

Thanks again! :D

45. AlexZ

AlexZ

Thank you :D

We used IPISoft, I will be putting together a video starting tomorrow, of the entire process and all the tricks I learned along the way to get a proper recording.

Should be done by the end of the week if not next week. I will post it on our SocialNetwork feeds and here if you would like to follow any of them to be notified.

46. AlexZ

AlexZ

Thanks for the feed back :D

Dungeon Forge is currently up as well in an early beta state, you can play it once you unlock it by getting lvl 10 with one of your hero's in fighter :D

47. AlexZ

AlexZ

Hey everyone, I could really use some feedback on this idea.

I have some pretty big plans on taking this concept of sharing content between games even further, this is what I have in mind:

If you manage to defeat 100 invading players with your dungeon in Forge, you unlock access to building an arena.

In the Dungeon Arena PVP game, you would use the same character you have been levelling in Fighter, with the same equipment and kills. It would be very similar to fighter, except it would be Player Vs Player. The Arena would not have an end goal, but would keep spawning minions from their layers constantly.

This way players could connect to arenas to farm, even when there are 0 players online. Soon as a second player joins, if its realm vs realm, heros can fight together, while dungeon bosses controlled by players fight against them.

If its open PVP, anyone can fight anyone.

There would be safe arenas and deadly arenas, in deadly arenas you drop everything on death. In safe arenas you drop only new things you picked up as it currently is now in Dungeon Fighter.

Right now there are about 12 skills to collect, and over 50,000 items. For the Arena release, I would bump it to over 100 skills between warrior and mage, add a new class (probably rogue) and have over 100,000 items

What do you guys think?

I was thinking of doing something similar to kickstarter, where you can make contributions for rare items, having things named after you , etc, but using our own store for doing this, what do you guys think of that?

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  48. virror

virror

Yeah, seems like ppl hav some trouble with it, but its not that hard actually, the key is to take it careful and jump the traps. Having a life stealing sword probably helps as well : p Wow, did not check in om my dungeon for some days now, but 30,000 coins is pretty big. I wont loot my chest because if someone beats the dungeon they deserve the reward : )

50,000 items ingame currently? Are you sure its possible to get all of those? : p If i count all so far i could probably not get to 1000 even.
    Arena seems like a cool idea, i will aim for those 100 kills then ; )

49. virror

virror

Hmm, i get no play button when i try to access to dungeon forge.

50. AlexZ

AlexZ

Oh hmm, yes, lemme try to fix that.

By the way, did you know half of the loot from a defeated player in your dungeon goes into your chest in Forge? if you click on chest you can access all the items.