Search Unity

Determining assets that need to be reimported for target platform crash

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by tawdry, Dec 25, 2016.

1. tawdry

tawdry

Hi
    I just recently upgraded to 5.5 and reimported my project(50 gigs) took the better part of 2 days.Unfortunately i removed an asset and now the project is going through the whole get hashes and Determining assets that need to be reimported for target platform on which is keeps crashing with out of memory error even though i am only at 40 percent on memory usage.

Is there anyway to not have unity do this step in the importing stage some settings in the editor?What exactly is unity trying to determine?
    Thx

Wothanar and ScourgeGames like this.
  2. dienat

dienat

I have 5.6 and same happens to me, its doing that frequently and it takes a lot of time, making development very slow.

ScourgeGames likes this.
  3. brando_slc

brando_slc

Bump, and you need not remove assets or change files to have to wait for this crap, sometimes it happens after Unity crashes or even after lame ass Enlighten crashes and I merely close Unity and restart it. Then I'm waiting some indefinite time while it 'Determines assets for reimport...', when there is absolutely no need. Very frustrating.

ScourgeGames likes this.
  4. Thromshall

Thromshall

Happening to me after upgrading to 2017.1... Super frustrating. I waited for 20 minutes and Unity still would not start.

ScourgeGames and Leoo like this.
  5. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

PEOPLE. What the hell is going on?

Took 2 hours to load a project. I've been a software engineer for 25 years and have never seen this type of aberrant nonsense. Fix this crap before I go back to Unreal.

Deleted User, Pharaoh_ and Wothanar like this.
  6. DavidJares

DavidJares

Yep. This Sucks my time too. On startup. Randomly. Please Unity. Take this seriously. Wasting unneccessary much time of the clients is not a good business model ( which also apllies especialy to the assetstore integration - want to find an asset you own , wait to load the list, wait to filter, wait, wait, WAIT ! ( For What ? ) -EVERY TIME (10-30 unneccessary seconds for an asset adds up fast )! After paying for that stuff. I mean the Asset store must be a huge income channel for them , and they don't even bother to make a proper implementation which respects the clients as beings). I am a little bit frustrated with that.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  7. silentslack

silentslack

Yep I have this too with 2017.1 :(

8. Wothanar

Wothanar

this still happend to me im using assets bundles browser and the damn thing start to reimport everything when i press build with out change or switch anyplataform its just start to reimport all and doing calculating hashes and im pissed of now really really upset with unity, i tought it was a cool software now i see its not too pro and forget about me buying any license or pro version of this F***ing crap of program that take like 30 min for create a F***ing simple assets bundle ( sorry but im really pissed off ) i bought a entirely new pc for work fast and now this... is unbelible really really its like a F***ing big joke... ( and im ussing assets bundle coz the >4GB of texture bug start to show on our damn big proyect) and well the solution come with this retardly slowness thing its killing me ....

my version of unity its 2017.2.03f

9. strife77

strife77

I'm going to bump this back to the top because I'm having this same issue. 5.5.0.

Unity????

10. Aykutkaraca

Aykutkaraca

wow no remedy for this so far? I am having the same issue. Unity 2018 1.6.f1

11. bobbyrocks

bobbyrocks

https://gyazo.com/569e5adda2efe71ff4a96d2782e4c784

Who ever did this or responsible for this.. beat up, thrown outside and fired on the spot.. Its just completely dumb to have this S***.. 4 hours now just to load a project back up. i would have saved time just reimporting from scratch.. does UE have problems like this?!

12. sqallpl

sqallpl

Does it happen when you don't change any project files between closing and opening the project again?

It happened for me two times this week already (Unity 2017.1) and in both cases no project files were changed before opening the project. I have no idea what triggered it.

My HDD was defragmented on the weekend and the first 're-import' happened on Monday morning, when launching Unity for the first time after defragmenting HDD. Anyway, this process is not changing any files.

The second time was today, It happened at the first launch of the editor in the morning. No idea why. I've closed Unity and my project yesterday evening without any problems.

I've checked the Library folder files when Unity started the process today and last changes for them were made yesterday (when I was closing Unity and the project). So no project files or Library files were changed between closing and opening the project again.

I've got this once or twice last year but after errors like crashing the system while Unity was saving a scene/assets or something like that. Anyway it was the first time when it happened without any problems and without changing any project files.

I've also noticed something. Both re-imports, after finishing the 'calculating asset hashes' were focused on one and same audio file. After this file was processed the whole process was done and Unity was launched and ready.
    I can see that a library metadata of this audio file is updated in the Library (everything has a '*.info' file which shows what file is referenced by this Library file).

The thing is that this audio file wasn't changed for more than one year. Why is Unity focused on this one particular file and why it did two 're-imports' and updated just this one file data in the Library?

I'm not even using this audio file. It's mp3 and it's in my project for more than one year. It wasn't used or changed and suddenly Unity performs a 're-import' and changing a Library data/reference just for THIS ONE specific file for the second time this week.

---

Would be great if someone can answer what things can trigger this process and especially what can be the cause of it if no project files were changed between closing and opening the project again.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  13. tawdry

tawdry

Sbar materials were the biggest villian for me anytime one of those crashed while i was changing setting on the mat it startedthis entire process

14. noname2020

noname2020

It took me over 2 hours to reimport the assets N finally it got crashed immediately when reimporting is done,
    i tried it over n over but nothing did change n it did crash when reimporting is done,

Finally decided to change it to unreal engine.
    Unity was a good n cool program and I liked it after a few months working with it but that frustrating issue made unity nothing than a DogSh!!!!!!!!!!!!t for me

15. DerSchakal

DerSchakal

I also have the same problem. My project is 85 GB and it takes forever. I've changed zero and suddenly the reimport comes back when unity is opened. Random. It needs to be fixed quickly in Unity. This costs too much time to re-import everything -_-
    Has anyone found a solution? I am still working with unity 5.6

16. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The support cycle for 5.6.x ended a long time ago. Outside of another editor remote code execution vulnerability, there are no additional fixes or updates coming to 5.6.

In another thread it was suggested to make copies of your Library folder per platform, and change a symlink to whichever platform you are using as needed.

17. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

My Library folder is now 15GB in a project of 2GB. This fix is super stupid and dangerous for my SSD drives. The process of importing assets all the time should be made smarter by Unity and a lot faster.

18. Deleted User

Deleted User

I Got A Solution

1.Go to your project file
    2.Remember which scene where you last
    3.Rename the Scene
    4.Try opening the project file from unity

If it did not work then reply me.
    Thank you