Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Detection of gamepads inconsistent

Discussion in 'Input System' started by reachdabeach, Feb 24, 2021.

1. reachdabeach

reachdabeach

I have a project in 2019.4.1f1 in Windows that was using the old input and I added the new InputSystem; imported and then selected the option in project settings to use the new and old. Editor has been restarted many times over the span of several days since I did this. The entire system has been rebooted a couple of times. I am detecting whether or not there is a Gamepad connected so I can possibly do vibration. I switch between nothing, a "real" X Box controller on USB and an SNES controller on USB.

My code works sometimes - when the X Box controller is there, it will sometimes detect it and vibrate. Sometimes not. Sometimes it detects the SNES; sometimes not. This is with unchanged code.

An example run. I disconnected and reconnected the SNES on this run, just so I could get this in the console:

gamepaddetect.jpg

Then I run the game in the editor and stop at a breakpoint and use the Immediate window (yeah, I am old school because I am just plain old) to check InputSystem.Gamepad:

gamepad2.png

Other times it works.

I use both Gamepads in other games and don't have trouble with them being recognized and used. I make sure nothing else is running that would access a gamepad and have started disconnecting and reconnecting before launching Unity.

upload_2021-2-24_9-34-34.png
    64 bit and I have verified that Unity is also 64 bit.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021