Search Unity

Detecting user's mouse sensitivity

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by HonoraryBob, Jan 21, 2018.

1. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

I've found that users' mice vary enormously in terms of sensitivity, which makes it difficult for some people to play my game. It works fine on my machine regardless of FPS, so the problem isn't caused by something the code is doing to scale the sensitivity. Is there any way to gauge the mouse's sensitivity? I know you can just allow the user to adjust it themselves in the settings, but many of them don't even try to do that.

2. dadude123

dadude123

If this is on windows you can just import the right windows API functions (using [DllImport("... dll name here ")] )

Other than that, you will probably have more luck asking here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/input-system-update.508660/page-2

But it is indeed strange, I also have some sensitivity problems using the default settings (for example using the default character controller or the controls from cinemachine, they are all 20x too fast).
    So I wonder why that is, because in windows my mouse sensitivity is set perfectly fine. So maybe unity is using some sort of different input? Or maybe the default values are just bad on purpose (to force you to change them).

3. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

It works fine on my machine, but some people have problems. So it's due either to their mouse or their settings. If there was some way to gauge their settings then the game could automatically adjust.

4. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

I don't think it's on purpose but it's true that default assets like the character controller are poorly setup. Not only the mouse sensitivity, there is also the camera near clip lane cutting walls on the FPS controller.

It's quite a shame since a lot of beginners use those assets and will give Unity a bad reputation.

Michieal likes this.
  5. Michieal

Michieal

Agreed...I've always chalked it up to lingering elitism... Certain things in Unity should be plug and go... and that's one of them. I realize that more advanced users will write their own controller (I always do), but it makes Unity Technologies look bad, and the game engine look bad, because they won't ship a real FP/TP controller with it.

And, did anyone one figure this out? The overall mouse sensitivity?