Search Unity

Detecting if a NavMeshAgent is rotating

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Korno, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Korno

Korno

Hey,

I am using NavMeshAgents for my AI characters in my game and I am just implementing the animations for them at the moment. I am using the velocity property to check if they are moving or not and blending the idle, run and walk animations using that. However, I am not sure how I can then blend my turning left or right animations. Is there a way to detect if the NavMeshAgent is rotating?

Thanks for any help in advance

2. jimroberts

jimroberts

If you're using a rigidbody you can get the sqrMagnitude of the angularVelocity and check if it's greater than 0. Otherwise you'll need to keep track of your own angular velocity.

Code (CSharp):
    1. public bool IsRotating { get { return myRigidbody.angularVelocity.sqrMagnitude > 0.0f; } }

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  3. Baste

Baste

The answer to "can I do this with a NavmeshAgent" is "no" 99% of the time.

You'll have to calculate the rotation yourself:

Code (csharp):
    1. void Update() {
    2.     Vector3 currentFacing = transform.forward;
    3.     currentAngularVelocity = Vector3.Angle(currentFacing, lastFacing) / Time.deltaTime; //degrees per second
    4.     lastFacing = currentFacing;
    6.     isRotating = currentAngularVelocity > 1f; //or whatever treshold you find appropriate
    7. }
    @jimroberts: using a navmesh agent and a non-kinematic rigidbody on the same object is not a good idea. The rigidbody will try to move the object with physics every frame, and the navmesh agent will snap it back to where it believes it should be. I had a rigidbody's velocity.y register as minus several thousand for an object that stood still.

Ghosthowl, myloran and Taloose like this.
  4. Korno

Korno

Thanks for the comments guys.

I managed to get something working like this -

Code (CSharp):
    1. Vector3 s = mAgent.transform.InverseTransformDirection(mAgent.velocity).normalized;
    2.         float speed = s.z;
    3.         float turn = s.x;
    4.         mAnimator.SetFloat(mSpeedHash,speed );
    5.         mAnimator.SetFloat(mTurnHash, turn);
    Basically, take the velocity vector put it into the models local space. Then use the z as a forward movement ratio and turn as the x. This is assumes that the model is aligned with forward and backwards being the z.

I normalize this and chuck it into my animation blend.

5. pedrociva

pedrociva

Thank you thank you thank you. I've been searching for this and finally found it. It works :)

6. Mohey_Al-Deen

Mohey_Al-Deen

float PreviousRotation;
    public void Update()
    {
    if(PreviousRotation != transform.rotation.y)
    {
    Action();
    }
    PreviousRotation =transform.rotation.y;
    }

7. WILEz1975

WILEz1975

float rotation;
    float currentAngularVelocity;
    void Turning()
    {

Vector3 s = agent.transform.InverseTransformDirection(agent.velocity).normalized;
    currentAngularVelocity = Mathf.Lerp(currentAngularVelocity, s.x,Time.deltaTime);

if (currentAngularVelocity > 0.1F) rotation = Mathf.Lerp(rotation, 1,Time.deltaTime);
    else if (currentAngularVelocity < -0.1F) rotation = Mathf.Lerp(rotation, -1, Time.deltaTime);
    else rotation = 0;

animator.SetFloat("TurnOnSpotDirection", rotation);

}