Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Detecting GPU incompatibility instead of just crashing?

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by chemicalcrux, Jan 28, 2023.

1. chemicalcrux

chemicalcrux

I turned on cloud diagnostics for an HDRP game of mine, and all of the native crashes I've seen so far appear to be from users with very low-powered devices -- Intel and AMD integrated graphics, or very old discrete laptop GPUs.

Here's one example of a stacktrace:

lane_guts (C:\build\output\unity\unity\Runtime\Jobs\Internal\JobQueues\ujobs\ujobs.cpp:1061)
    wait_for_handle_done (C:\build\output\unity\unity\Runtime\Jobs\Internal\JobQueues\ujobs\ujobs.cpp:1496)
    ujob_wait_for (C:\build\output\unity\unity\Runtime\Jobs\Internal\JobQueues\ujobs\ujobs.cpp:1545)
    (C:\build\output\unity\unity\Runtime\Jobs\Internal\JobGroupID.h:50)
    ClearFenceWithoutSync (C:\build\output\unity\unity\Runtime\Jobs\Jobs.cpp:17)
    SyncFence (C:\build\output\unity\unity\Runtime\Jobs\Jobs.h:286)
    ScheduleBatchedScriptingJobsAndComplete (C:\build\output\unity\unity\Runtime\Jobs\BatchedJobs.h:44)
    JobHandle_CUSTOM_ScheduleBatchedJobsAndComplete (C:\build\output\unity\unity\artifacts\Win\Modules\Win64_VS2019_nondev_m_m\Bindings\CoreBindings.gen.cpp:9499)

Is there anything I can do to check for this incompatibility other than just seeing if the game crashes? I imagine this is very confusing for the end-user...

I do know that you can check if compute shaders are supported. Perhaps there's a combination of those flags that can be used to get a good guess?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023