Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Detect single letter by text reco

Discussion in 'Vuforia' started by JoystickLab, Oct 15, 2017.

1. JoystickLab

JoystickLab

I can not find a way to recognize single letter by vuforia text recognition. I have tried manually putting individual letter on the wordlist. that does not work.
    From some forum I saw that vuforia does not support single letter detection. But that sounds unrealistic. Can someone give any possible workout? I have already tried the following:

1. Using each letter as a marker: The letters does not contain enough feature, so Vuforia cant detect it.
    2. I have tried passing image from Vuforia API described here and tried detecting text using OCR plugin (I tested with both OpenCV and tesseract): The game becomes slow as the api keeps sending images to the OCR engine. Also the accuracy of those plugin is not as good as vuforia "Text Reco". Tesseract is good, but cant find a solution for android.
    Can anyone help me with some ideas please?

2. Augmenteer

Augmenteer

As you've heard, Vuforia's text recognition is word based, not letter based. It doesn't provide a reliable method for detecting single letters. Also this feature has been deprecated and will be discontinued in the next release.

Can you accomplish what you need to with a pure OCR solution, or do you need to be able to track these letters?

3. JoystickLab

JoystickLab

Till now I have tried opencv and tesseract for detecting letter. But I am not really satisfied with the accuracy. So I am still looking for a perfect solution which is more precise. Its sad that vuforia wont support text reco any more. I loved the feature.

Any chance you can give me some suggestion of some OCR plugin for unity, or any other letter tracking techniques??