Search Unity

Detail density issue after upgrading from 2018.2 to 2019.1

Discussion in 'World Building' started by mrtenda, May 22, 2019.

1. mrtenda

mrtenda

terrain1.png
    When I painted new terrain details (grass) in 2018.2, the grass was very dense (which I liked). However, after upgrading to 2019.1, grass I paint with the same detail setup and the default brush is very sparse.

The details I already painted in 2018.2 look exactly the same after upgrading to 2019.1, so I assume this is some difference between how the terrain editor paints details in 2019.1 and 2018.2. However, I can't find any option or brush setting that will allow me to paint dense grass like I did back in 2018.2.

How I can get 2019.1 to let me paint dense details like the image on the left instead of the image on the right?

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  2. chanfort

chanfort

Did you tried changing detail density in terrain settings?

P.S. Just a bit off-topic, I somehow like the second image :) . It looks like the grass is fitting nicely with terrain texture there. Are you using some of Unity's assets or from asset store?

3. mrtenda

mrtenda

My detail density is already at 0.8, and setting the detail density to 1 still doesn't make any new grass I paint as dense as it was in 2018.2

Besides, the grass I painted back in 2018.2 still remains nice and dense after I upgraded my project to 2019.1. It's just the new grass I paint in 2019.1 that is all sparse, which leads me to believe it's not due to the detail density setting (which seems to affect all of the grass, old and new).

As for the first image vs the second image, we want a "fluffy, thick" feeling for the grass, so the left version is what we want in this case. (And these are using custom assets.)

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  4. alexr1221

alexr1221

In Unity 2019, the terrain is now 1000x1000 by default instead of 500x500, so there is 2x less grass density for the same resolution

edit:
    To get more density you'll have to increase the detail resolution, which is 1024 by default. Just set 99999 and it will set you the max resolution

mrtenda likes this.
  5. Woolf

Woolf

however, this will “kill” the old grass, which even after importing in 2019 looks better. Moreover, increasing the resolution to 2048 and higher significantly reduces the number of FPS in the final assembly (even if there will be as many parts).

I guess that it’s not a matter of resolution, but of setting a brush. We just cannot set the grass with the right density. This is bug!

this is really a problem for me. I am paralyzed the process of developing new gaming areas due to this annoying grass bug. Even increasing the resolution to 4096 does not give the old grass density as it was in v2017 or v2018

6. FireChickenGames

FireChickenGames

Did you ever figure out a solution that doesn't require increasing the detail resolution?

7. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

Facing the same problem. Upgraded a project from 2017 to 2019, it preserved the existing grass density but any newly painted grass is super sparse. If I paint on existing areas, it actually lowers the existing density.

-- EDIT --
    Seems Gaia stampers can achieve the old density (it's obviously an UI limitation, since the terrain data can store denser details imported from older Unity versions). I'll go with that for now.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  8. kkrg001

kkrg001

Am I seeing any wrong information? Increase the density of the terrain to increase the density of the grass? ? ?
    Terrain density is not required. I just want to increase the density of the grass.
    After using UE4's foliage, it's a great pain to find out about unity grass.

9. Arnienet

Arnienet

If it helps anyone, I resolved exactly this isssue in v2019.2.14f1 by:

Select Terrain in Scene UI window, click Terrain settings, and in 'Mesh Resolution (On Terrain Data)' I changed

'Detail Resolution Per Patch' from 8 to 16 and
    'Detail Resolution' from 1024 to 2048

This did remove all previous patch detail data (grass), but restored the older resolution.

upload_2021-11-2_23-43-46.png

10. technano

technano

I just ran into this issue recently and I found a fix for my specific workcase. Under terrain settings -> Tree & Detail Objects -> Detail Scatter Mode I changed the setting to Instance Count Mode. However it does delete all detailed painting done up to that point so I hope you don't have too much work already done.

I'm working in Unity 2022.2.2f1 and I have the Terrain toolkit package installed
    Hope this helps anyone else!

TulasIRamaN and LordMatthew like this.