Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Destroying particle systems

Discussion in 'Graphics for ECS' started by Bas-Smit, May 21, 2021.

1. Bas-Smit

Bas-Smit

In regular unity a particle system has a Stop Action that can be set to Destroy. A simple test shows that converted particle systems leave their entities behind.

How would I best go about replicating the Destroy Stop Action?

Slightly more advanced, I would also like to stop emmision of looping systems, then destroy them after the last particle dies out.

Thanks, Bas

2. SebastianAaltonen

SebastianAaltonen

Unity Technologies

This is fixed in a forthcoming package release. The lifetime callbacks were not properly handled for hybrid components.

eggsamurai, Occuros and Bas-Smit like this.
  3. optimise

optimise

@SebastianAaltonen Forthcoming package release refer to Entities package or Hybrid Renderer package?

4. SebastianAaltonen

SebastianAaltonen

Unity Technologies

Forthcoming entities package. Hybrid components is a core DOTS entities feature. I don't know the ETA for the next DOTS entities package drop.

eggsamurai and optimise like this.
  5. optimise

optimise

Btw does Hybrid components now support skinned mesh renderer in forthcoming entities package?

6. SebastianAaltonen

SebastianAaltonen

Unity Technologies

7. optimise

optimise

The skinned mesh renderer I mean OOP land skinned mesh renderer not DOTS land skinned mesh renderer. I still need to use it for OOP land particle system and OOP land Animator hybrid component until DOTS particle system and much more complete DOTS animation are available. Currently seems like hybrid component cannot support OOP land skinned mesh renderer properly at Entities 0.17. Nothing is render.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  8. SebastianAaltonen

SebastianAaltonen

Unity Technologies

We don't have any plans for hybrid component skinned mesh renderer. The plan is to improve the usability of the DOTS skinning.

The OOP skinned mesh renderer is already converted to DOTS, but you need a bit more setup currently to make it render correctly. The forthcoming version will no longer need a custom ShaderGraph shader and there will be other usability improvements too. Should be much closer to the OOP experience. You still need to install the DOTS.Animation package however, since the hybrid renderer package has no animation code in it.

I will invite some animation team people in this thread to share their plans, since I don't know the details.

9. optimise

optimise

I would like to know what is the current progress of mobile device GLES support for hybrid renderer? I would like to use DOTS animation as soon as GLES support is available.