Search Unity

Destroy GameObject after initialization

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by MikeMarcin, May 28, 2018.

1. MikeMarcin

MikeMarcin

I'm using many GameObjectEntities with CopyInitialTransformFromGameObject to specify markers in the world (spawn points etc). Combined with ComponentDataWrapper this recaptures much of the non-ECS level design workflow I'm used to.

Once my marker entities are created and their transform has been copied I no longer need the GameObject. I only need the entity and it seems wasteful to keep the GameObject around. Unfortunately the only way I can see to accomplish this right now is with some gross reflection hacks.

But it does work as expected; the GameObjects are gone, the entities remain, and the other systems operate correctly.

Is there a better way to do this? If not, can this be supported more directly?

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using Unity.Entities;
    3. using Unity.Collections;
    5. public struct DestroyGameObjectAfterInit : IComponentData { }
    7. public class DestroyGameObjectAfterInitComponent : ComponentDataWrapper<DestroyGameObjectAfterInit> { }
    10. [UpdateAfter(typeof(Unity.Transforms.CopyTransformToGameObjectSystem))]
    11. public class DestroyGameObjectAfterInitSystem : ComponentSystem
    12. {
    13.     public struct Group
    14.     {
    15.         public int Length;
    16.         public GameObjectArray gameObjects;
    17.         [ReadOnly]
    18.         public ComponentDataArray<DestroyGameObjectAfterInit> destroyGameObjectAfterInit;
    19.     }
    21.     [Inject]
    22.     public Group group;
    23.     private System.Reflection.MethodInfo entityPropertySetter;
    25.     public DestroyGameObjectAfterInitSystem()
    26.     {
    27.         var entityProperty = typeof(GameObjectEntity).GetProperty("Entity");
    28.         entityProperty.DeclaringType.GetProperty("Entity");
    29.         entityPropertySetter = entityProperty.GetSetMethod(true);
    30.     }
    32.     protected override void OnUpdate()
    33.     {
    34.         var argsNullEntity = new object[] { null };
    36.         for (int i = 0; i != group.Length; ++i)
    37.         {
    38.             var go = group.gameObjects[i];
    39.             var goe = go.GetComponent<GameObjectEntity>();
    40.             var entity = goe.Entity;
    41.             entityPropertySetter.Invoke(goe, argsNullEntity);
    43.             GameObject.Destroy(go);
    45.             PostUpdateCommands.RemoveComponent<DestroyGameObjectAfterInit>(entity);
    46.         }
    47.     }
    48. }

2. 5argon

5argon

How about using `ComponentArray<CopyInitialTransformFromGameObject>` instead of `ComponentDataArray<DestroyGameObjectAfterInit>` as your struct component group? That way you get all game objects which has its value copied right?

3. MikeMarcin

MikeMarcin

IIRC the CopyTransformToGameObjectSystem removes the CopyInitialTransformFromGameObject component after it runs.

4. 5argon

5argon

I took a look at `CopyInitialTransformFromGameObjectSystem.cs`, it did remove that component but it was scheduled on the command buffer that ties to an `EndFrameBarrier`

So in that same frame I think you still have a chance to inject the component and use them.

5. LazyGameDevZA

LazyGameDevZA

I personally think I prefer @MikeMarcin 's solution. I am however doubting whether the need for a system like this outweighs the performance impact of it. As long as these markers aren't interacted with at a later stage just leave them there until you notice a significant drop in performance from having a lot of them hanging around. If however you're looking for a way to setup a scene using a bunch of GameObjects, but then moving them over to Entities and destroying the original objects yields enough of a performance gain it should be a good start. The reflection code is a bit scary, but I think once Unity can provide a way of interacting with ECS from the inspector.