Search Unity

Desktop computer suggestions for 2D development, preferably under $1,300

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tfishell, May 5, 2021.

1. tfishell

tfishell

I'm currently on a old slow Win7 machine and am looking to upgrade, preferably at around $1300 or less (maybe I'm being unreasonable with that price range with the ongoing GPU shortage). I'd mainly use the machine for 2D work (Unity and Visual Studio) and web browsing.

I'm thinking an i7 or AMD equivalent, 16 GB RAM, at least 256 SSD, dedicated graphics.

I'd appreciate suggestions, thanks.

Here are some I've been looking at: Lenovo - Legion Tower 5 , CyberPowerPC - Gamer Master Gaming Desktop (maybe get this and upgrade to 16 GB in the near future?), HP ENVY Gaming Desktop PC , Dell XPS 8930 , general Newegg search in the above price range

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Does it absolutely have to be prebuilt? You're getting absolutely fleeced with those prices.

tfishell and Joe-Censored like this.
  3. TonyLi

TonyLi

Every month, PC Gamer magazine suggests gaming PC builds at 3 different price points. If you don't mind assembling the parts yourself as Murgilod suggests, you can save a bundle. Otherwise, you could look at the builds and find a prebuilt PC with similar specs. If you already have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, their current mid-range build is $1089 for an AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, RTX 3060 Ti, 16 GB DDR4, 1 TB SSD, 1 TB HDD, and related parts (motherboard, case, etc.). You might be able to find a prebuilt PC with similar specs for a few hundred more. (I haven't looked.)

tfishell and Joe-Censored like this.
  4. MDADigital

MDADigital

1300 will get you a CPU but no mobo :) if you want a workstation that is.

5. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

The thing is you may be able to get GPUs via pre-built that are currently unavailable sold seperately due to the global shortage.

That said with the components you are looking at in those builds you may still be fine to build it yourself and find stock you need. (Like one of those prebuilt has a 1650 as a graphics card and costs a bomb, they really look overpriced for what they are even given the shortage worldwide)

6. Murgilod

Murgilod

Stick to the brief, champ. You can do 2D dev in Unity on a toaster.

7. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

If it isn't at least a Ryzen 5900X, @MDADigital wouldn't trust it with getting toast right. :p

8. MDADigital

MDADigital

12 cores is so 2018. I wouldnt go below 16 ;)

9. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

That use case would explain a bunch. I reckon Intel would be better for toast, though. ;)

Joe-Censored likes this.
  10. N1warhead

N1warhead

Here's a tip for prebuilt.

For example the Alienware R10 (Ryzen edition).

CPU:Ryzen 7 5800 (OEM) not the X version.
    Ram: 8 Gigs.
    GPU: RX6800 XT. Being you want to do 2D then just cheap out on the GPU options they offer.

For like $1350 dollars. I got a PC with the parts above.
    Or buy the same GPU for like $1800. from a scalper.

I got my own ram so it's cheaper, so I just got the basic ram option.

(the discounts still apply regardless) but normally this build is more than $1350.
    To get it so cheap (or if you want a cheaper GPU) then just sign up for the dell newsletter for 10% off.
    Not sure if the Coupon 50OFF699 is still available but that'll also give you 50 dollars off.
    Next sign up for a dell account and get even more discount (Didn't see a percentage) but it took off like $30-$40 dollars for me.

Taxes will raise it (for me) about like $135. So I paid like $1450ish for this build.

I ain't payin a scalper nearly 2 grand when i can bet an entire build cheaper.

So for example you could get a decent sub $1000 rig with the discounts above.

tfishell likes this.
  11. Murgilod

Murgilod

With how hot the Ryzens run at idle? Bang for your buck for toast is way better with AMD. You can make like three times as many slices for half the price.

12. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I was thinking of review descriptions of the 11900k being things like "hot and power hungry".

13. MDADigital

MDADigital

11900k is completely irrelevant since 5950x beats it in single core perf

14. sxa

sxa

If you're going to cockwaffle over CPU specs, can you at least try to do so within the OP's actual budget.

15. tfishell

tfishell

Thanks for the tips. I am somewhat uncomfortable with building my own (not much experience), but if I'll really save a good bit of money maybe I should go with that. I have read that in passing that, at this point, building your own machine is relatively simple (compared to years and decades ago).

https://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-pc-build-guide/

Adding up the prices here seems closer to 1,300 than 1,100 though

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  16. Ryiah

Ryiah

I recommend ignoring everything with a name brand unless they offer a sale you can't refuse (speaking of which we're not that far away from July 4th sales though who knows if there will be any stock at all). NewEgg has been manufacturing their own line of systems under the brand "ABS" and selling them for reasonable prices.

It's not the latest generation processor nor one that I would have recommended in the past but it's the closest to your budget that is still available. Just about everything else at that price point that was worth buying has been bought.

https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali510/p/N82E16883360110

Ignore the prices currently shown by that website. All of them are MSRP. Currently the only way to buy a card close to that price is to win the NewEgg Shuffle and even then a 3060 which should cost $329 MSRP is selling for $600 USD thanks to almost every card being part of a combo rather than individually available.

upload_2021-5-9_2-12-51.png

Want to know what the scalpers are currently selling (yes, selling, not just listing) 3060 Tis for? $1,300 USD.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=3060+Ti&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    tfishell likes this.
  17. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

I do 3D on the 7700K integrated graphics and it works just fine with the build in render pipeline.

Joe-Censored and angrypenguin like this.
  18. TonyLi

TonyLi

I used the print version of the June 2021 issue and omitted the monitor, keyboard, and mouse they included in their build. The online prices are probably more current. Prices fluctuate daily, and as mainstream media gets more panicky about chip manufacturing shortages, it may be driving prices up.

tfishell likes this.
  19. tfishell

tfishell

Sorry to bump but I figured I'd keep inquiring/asking for advice: what if I was to buy something like this $650 machine and upgrade the RAM and put in a second SSD in the near future? (general advice seems to consistently be that I can not worry so much about the GPU for 2D, which if true is naturally a good thing for me right now) Frankly I'd prefer not trying to build a whole PC from scratch, even if it means paying a bit more than than I should (within reason).

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  20. xjjon

xjjon

tfishell likes this.
  21. Ryiah

Ryiah

tfishell likes this.
  22. undevable

undevable

Yep. I can do 2D and 3D dev perfectly fine on my old 6-year-old i5 laptop.

23. undevable

undevable

24. xjjon

xjjon

Just bear in mind that you can get a build with a CPU that is 40% faster + a GPU (1660 super) for $200~ more. So around $400 more parts for $200~ more retail

https://slickdeals.net/f/15020074-d...super-830-free-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

Also be sure to check the power supply if you plan to upgrade some stuff. Most of these prebuilt ones have the smallest PSU possible to power it.

undevable and Ryiah like this.
  25. Ryiah

Ryiah

Some of them don't even have the proper connectors even if they have sufficient power delivery. I checked the model I linked above but all I was able to determine is that it has the necessary slot for a GPU. While it does vary somewhat between generations this means you'd likely be limited to a "50" model card or below (eg 1050).

tfishell and xjjon like this.
  26. xjjon

xjjon

Yeah - one way that you can check on what upgrades you may be able to do is to see what part upgrades the manufacturer provides on the same model. Not guaranteed but most of the time the base parts are the same. Not guaranteed though!

27. tfishell

tfishell

Appreciate the tip. I may go with that for now. If it doesn't work out during the two week period, I'll return it and try waiting for July 4th deals (though I imagine I won't be "quick enough on the draw" to grab those before others do :p). Right now I'm dealing with unbearable Unity/VS load and compile times. (And I should probably switch away from Chrome but old habits...)