Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Designing Worlds...how to create more realistic geography/geology.

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Teila, Mar 3, 2018.

1. eneroth3

eneroth3

Towns and villages with houses just floating in a vacuum is one of my biggest pet peeves. If you look at real life, every space is _something_, whether it's someone's private lawn, a garden, the street, a park etc. In fictional environments though houses are often just randomly placed in a bug nothingness.

2. Teila

Teila

I agree and that is something that bugs me too. We build a world, populate it with the trappings of civilizations and we forget that these towns and villages and cities all need to at least appear to have some history behind them. There is a reason they are where they are and it should be at least somewhat obvious to the player.

I plan to do some more on geography and will probably start a new thread, but will link it here.

Seneral likes this.
  3. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

Pretty sure this is sorta how Oregon Trail started out its development. Pretty pretty successful game.

Teila likes this.
  4. Teila

Teila

Odd how I have two posts with the same name but with a different person's name.

5. Teila

Teila

I am making plans for more of this but not until the spring at least. I will make sure to post it here or if Hippo locks this for necroeing, I will start a new post.

6. Teila

Teila

I finally have time to work on my game and my terrains. Maybe I will have time to write more about realistic worlds. We will have to see. I am in the process of making a river with point bars. I have not been around for so long. I hope you guys and gals have found some use for this article.

Martin_H likes this.
  7. Teila

Teila

I should add some information about glaciers, how they form the landscape and what they leave behind. Could very cool for a game environment.

Martin_H likes this.