Search Unity

1. Are you interested in providing feedback directly to Unity teams? Sign up to become a member of Unity Pulse, our new product feedback and research community.
    Dismiss Notice

Help Wanted Designing for Wide Displays?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by MidnightCoffeeInc, Jul 7, 2021.

1. MidnightCoffeeInc

MidnightCoffeeInc

I'm working on a non-game application that makes use of Unity's 3D engine. So far it's working out really well, but I'm struggling when it comes to UI.

I'm working on a 34 inch wide monitor, and while my app looks good in a 16:9 ratio, when I change the game view to "Free Aspect" everything stretches incorrectly.

I've messed with all canvas scaling options, and in certain situations it looks great (UI Elements pinned to sides and corners of screen), but when I have something taking up the whole screen (two large panels side by side, for example), the scaling gets messed up, and I can't have everything in view that I want, when I resize the Game Window.

Does anyone have any experience with things like this and would be willing to share their thoughts?

For a non-game, would it be silly to limit the aspect ratio to 16:9 in the Player settings? That would drive me crazy as a user of a wide display.

Thanks for any and all advice!

unityunity