Search Unity

Designing for Immersion

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Teila, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Teila

Teila

No problem. I am up far too late working so I probably misunderstood. :) I like creating stuff in game too, not always items but sometimes stories or goals that are not part of the game mechanics.

hopeful likes this.
  2. hopeful

hopeful

A general goal of mine is to try to enable players to create in the game in as many ways as I can.

Whippets and Teila like this.
  3. hopeful

hopeful

I agree that the simple practice of putting items into identical inventory blocks seems like a way of saying to the player "these are all the same and not terribly significant." I think players find such rewards more ... rewarding ... if there is an effort made to highlight them in some way, like if you can see them in 3D, or if there is lore behind them.

4. Teila

Teila

You know, I am not fond of the typical inventory systems either. However, I have discussed this with one of my team members who plays a lot of games. He says to be careful. Inventory is really a minor part of the game and one of those things that players do in almost every rpg. If you make it too complex and too puzzle-like, it becomes just another thing you have to do every time you try to put something in your inventory or take something out.

I was specifically thinking of changing the size of the slots for different sized items and having the player arrange them in the backpack/inventory. But I think he might be right actually. I want my players to spend more time playing the game than trying to figure out how to get all their stuff into the inventory. On the other hand, I think inventories can be a little more interesting.

The 3d view is nice as is a bit of lore attached to the item. I like those. They actually enhance the player's knowledge of the item rather than give them something to distract them.

5. Whippets

Whippets

hmm, you've got me thinking about inventory now...
    Sure the square boxes of the inventory window haven't changed much in over a decade. We can have items with differing weights, and/or sizes, even multiple bags. But in what ways can we take a sideways step and see inventory from a new perspective? Farming mats/raws is all about stacking and carrying, wearing clothing is about filling the empty clothing slots, crafting is about using/merging items to create something new.

How can this be reimagined?

6. hopeful

hopeful

Some things are best kept in orderly lists, with a list item comprised of a picture and text. I don't mind that in a game. Especially if the inventory is something that really accumulates. In that sort of situation, players are likely to appreciate having a few tools to sort / select items.

I don't think there's one solution.

7. buckius82

buckius82

Immersion, when i think of immersion i think of an my own project i was working on. there are things that really hurt it.
    i was making a scene: I wanted the to make it scary.
    Using - Free asset stuff nothing spectacular visually.
    I thought of all the things that would make me on edge when playing games like resident evil. the way they use sounds lighting and shock.
    I Absolutely hate the fact you can't jump, that alone ruined it for me.

so any way i mad a line of agro and line of sight script for the maximo zombie.
    the question i had was how do i play laser pointer with a zombie or a zombie horde?
    because you can't do it in any game I've Played. Explosions don't attract them they just as triggers for spawns and such.

I felt wow that could be a super cool imersive feature:
    so i had a character with a flash light and ray casted out its limit and placed an empty object with a collider and rigibody.
    i let the zombies sensor script detect it by adding it to the TAG filter Function.
    the result was cool. and immediately wished it was in some of my favorite games.

left for dead was cool game but, i i could have been on the team i would have told add walking zombies amputated ones get rid of the spitters witches and stuff ... add driving and vehicle operation make the game open world just like fallout.

when Leaving a bright room which was Litterally a script called BrightRoom attached to a box collider on an empty game object that when it was night or if the player exited to dark adjacent room/hall the attached camera would black out then fade in, and slerp out to the max clipping plane.