Search Unity

Designing A Simple Map With Rooms Visited

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by taivasltd, Apr 10, 2019.

1. taivasltd

taivasltd

Hello,

I am doing a bit of searching but I can't find exactly what I am looking for. Basically I would like some tips on how to think to design the following:

A simple map on a side panel (outside the main game panel) that will include the rooms the player has visited i.e. it will not show the rooms that the player has not visited yet.

I want it to be very simple i.e. a room can be just a square with the name of the room and a line connects to the other exits that the player has been in (maybe the room player is in has different colour).

Am I right to think that a Camera element may not be what I want? Although I do want the player to be able to zoom in/out to see the whole structure they have gone through, so not 100% sure what element would be correct.

Any help or resources you can point me to, appreciated :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

You want a Canvas there, with elements for each of the rooms and passages that you simply turn on as the player explores them.

3. Volcanicus

Volcanicus

I made minimaps using this:

Basically, it filters an overhead camera view.
    What you can do is either create a pixel fog overhead that gets destroyed when interacting with a collider the main character has or hide rooms with a background cover that is destroyed on trigger when entering rooms.

4. taivasltd

taivasltd

Thanks both! I will give it a try and update if I get somewhere :)