Search Unity

Designing a game about 'Seven Bridges Problem' or 'Droste effect' ?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Xinzz, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Xinzz

Xinzz

Hey guys.

I'm designing a game about 'Seven Bridges Problem' or 'Droste effect', doesn't have to be all about it, as long as the game has elements about these (one of them or both).

Any one has a good idea? :)

2. tedthebug

tedthebug

If the game is about solving the problem then it seems to be a very limited game. In what way did you want to use the 7 bridges problem? Like the original question or just in a "I made a game & somewhere is hidden an obscure reference to the 7 bridges problem but that problem isn't actually reflected in the gameplay"?

3. Xinzz

Xinzz

No, it's not about solving the problem.. Actually about the 7 bridges i could only think about drawing line, and like put it into a 2D platform and use it to draw a bridge or something to help character keep moving. Or using the 7 bridges problem in a 3D cube, and according to the three-view drawing, the user is gonna connect corresponding points with line.

And about the Droste effect, i think portal might has some, but it only do if you put two portals on the wall, one in the front, and the other one is right behind you, so you could see a Droste effect through the one in front of you.

4. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

If you have an idea why you askin' us for ideas?

5. Xinzz

Xinzz

You guys have better ideas.

6. tedthebug

tedthebug

Consider what would happen if the player was looking at a Droste effect that was made using carnival mirrors instead of normal flat mirrors. What would the effect be? Why would someone be doing/using it? Maybe you can get a game idea from that. I have one but I might use it myself one day.

7. Xinzz

Xinzz

Okay thanks for the tip :)

8. Teila

Teila

Yeah, but then it wouldn't be your idea. ;)

Gigiwoo likes this.
  9. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

How much flexibility do you have? I could see this evolving into a simple set of evolving puzzles. Like so:
    • Level 1 - Two islands, connect with a one-way bridge. (learn the interface)
    • Level 2 - Three islands, two one-way bridges.
    • Level 3 - Four islands, three bridges
    • Level 4 - ...
    Start to build up the puzzles. And, as you will exhaust the puzzle space pretty quickly, add in other elements that teach specific parts. Add two-way bridges. Add bridges that can be crossed only once, or only twice. Add in starting points and ending points. Add things that make the space fun to play in. Maybe you have to get certain things, like keys, to unlock a bridge. Or maybe there's a toll, you have to pay, which requires something else first. Essentially, this has become a pathing game. Whether it's fun, is a whole other story.

Gigi

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    Kiwasi and Xinzz like this.
  10. tedthebug

tedthebug

How does the 7 bridges problem change if you can use the droste effect as well to get around the islands (this may involve very abstract maths in real life, I'm not sure)?

11. Xinzz

Xinzz

Good point :oops::oops:

12. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Why? What's compelling about the problem that interests you?

Gigiwoo likes this.
  13. Xinzz

Xinzz

It's for my tutor, doing some kind of graduation project. He want a 'game' to help him teach.

Gigiwoo likes this.
  14. tedthebug

tedthebug

Ask him how he would teach it in a game. Get him to describe it as a board or card game so he visualises how the mechanics will work instead of just waving his hand & assuming the magic game machine will Just make it work. Once he has it all clear step by step you will have the rules you can use for coding it.

Kiwasi likes this.
  15. Xinzz

Xinzz

Here's the thing...He ask us to figure out the rules and he will decide if it could be used in teaching. He want more like a model instead of a game. Anyway, i changed the subject to Turing Machine after he turned down my plan like 4 times.

16. tedthebug

tedthebug

So now you have to right an AI that can fool a human? Flip the premise around so that a world of robots is trying to teach a human to fool a computer

17. Xinzz

Xinzz

No, not that way lol, that's too hard. Have u played one of google's doodles, it's about Turing Machine if i remember correctly. That's almost what i'm gonna do.