Search Unity

Designing a 2D shooter

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by ppowersteef, Jan 24, 2016.

1. ppowersteef

ppowersteef

Hello Everyone,

My name is Steven, 19 years old, Student developer and hobbyist artist.
    and I've been playing with Unity since May 2015.
    Before working on bigger things, I've plans to make an easier/shorter game first to test stuff with the engine.
    trex ingame.PNG
    The game is going to be a Platform Shooter, mainly inspired from the Metroid Franchise.
    it's still a huge WIP, And I don't know much of the engine yet, I've followed 2 Courses ( [1] [2] ) to help me setting up a basic 2D game. now I've quite the basics of my current idea:
    The game was first supposed to be a target smash, but I think I'm directly going for the next step in making a small adventure game, I might use the planned target smash as a demo or something:
    Trexspoiler1.gif

Here I was poud of having weapon pickups that change the weapon:
    Trexspoiler2.gif
    An Boss Enemy that I've planned to program:
    tripod.png
    And a GUI Test:
    Trexspoiler4.gif

:
    The Playable Character itself is an OC of mine, called Trex. A pretty casual looking soldier that likes to use energy based guns.
    All the textures are made by myself using Paint.NET
    I've planned to use FreeSound.org for the soundeffects,
    So far no Ideas what I've planned to do with background music.

I'm still new to Unity, so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

theANMATOR2b and mickmarona like this.
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Your character looks a little - TMNTish without any weapons. Nothing to worry about at this stage - gameplay is most important, but if you have designs for the character to be weaponless - later down the line consider a torso redesign that looks a little less like a turtle. :)
    Nice progress working with the lynda training. I've briefly looked into the Unity training content they offer and it looks to be top shelf stuff.

ppowersteef likes this.
  3. ppowersteef

ppowersteef

Thanks,

I've noticed that I havn't shown a visible chest part of the character here.
    I got an older version of it here, though everything but the chest part is outdated, lel.
    But this is what it's supposed to look like:
    As you have said, and noticed, I'm more focussing on the gameplay mechanics than the design,
    It would be dissappointing if you've already made the artwork for a game that won't work :p

My subscription on Lynda.com is currently over, but I don't mind that much, the funniest part starts when the training is over, you can start designing by yourself :D

Thank you for paying attention, it gives me motivation to continue

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I was referencing this example provided

Yeah - definitely focus - as you are - on design and mechanics - visuals can always be improved and expanded later.

5. ppowersteef

ppowersteef

Yeah, that one was pretty much an animation test, as the design of with gun differs a lot.
    Both the design and animation needs work, I'm aware of that. Thanks