Search Unity

Design questions, VR Related

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Cdngater, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Cdngater

Cdngater

I have a general design question that is VR Related hence why I am asking here instead of the Game Design forum.

I recently found a very interesting flight control system using the Vive Controllers as seen here <VTOL VR>.

The question I have is this, what are people doing to transition from a room scale environment to a sitting environment?

Let me explain a bit better. Taking the above video, imagine walking cross the deck of the carrier (Room Scale Environment) climbing into the Cockpit of the VTOL and then sitting and flying the VTOL (Sitting Environment).

How would you transition?

- One though is you would need to pause the game, put a chair into the middle of the room, and tell the game to enter sitting mode. To get up, again, pause the game, remove the chair from the middle of the room, and tell the game to enter room mode.

- Another thought would be that you stay physically standing, but the character would sit. But that would mean you would be standing a lot in one spot holding your controllers in front of you. I would think that would get heavy after a while.

Is anybody doing this kind of thing? Examples (video or just text description of what was basically done)?

Are there any flight control systems using Vive Controllers that works well with someone standing?

Any other comments?