Search Unity

Design of spell/projectile system for mobile

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flynn_Prime, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Flynn_Prime

Flynn_Prime

I'm currently designing a mobile endless dungeon runner where the player can pick from various different mage classes. It is a 3D, blocky, low poly style game with chibi style characters.

I would like some advice for the creation of spell effects. I love the look of the particle system, and have recently been familiarising myself with it, however I have read various comments that say should be used very sparingly with mobile with low emissions rates etc. So I am not sure if this is a good route to take, as the player can have a very high attack speed, and also launch multiple attacks at a time (attack speed will be around 2-3 attacks per second, possibly more with certain weapons, and a fireball, for example, will have the ability to cast multiple times simultaneously; launching 3 or more projectiles at once). I was also planning to use other particle systems for things like explosions, blood splatter, buffs etc.

Bearing this in mind, should I stay away from particles? Or would low poly particle systems be okay?

If not, what alternatives are there that I can use to create similar effects that won't be so intensive on the devices hardware?