Search Unity

Design 2d art for any Platform

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by behdadsoft, Sep 18, 2019.

1. behdadsoft

behdadsoft

Hi.

I want make a 2d game and i finished it base programming. I want make this game with unity and need know how can design 2d arts that can use them for any Platform like (Windows, Android, iOS, PS4, XBOX).

If possible please guide me.

Thanks.

2. kdgalla

kdgalla

Look up digital art tutorials for Photoshop or whatever art software you are using.

3. behdadsoft

behdadsoft

I think i don't ask my question correctly. i don't want design it myself, i want know how can make art that can use in any platform with different size. you know each platform have different size and i don't want design art for special platform. exactly, i need know what is the best size for design arts that can use in any platform?

4. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

All explained here https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-TextureImporter.html at the part about compression at the bottom

Basically you import your main highest quality master asset (source asset) and then set the compression settings and various importer settings for the target platform. Unity will automatically convert it using these settings when you build for that target platform

5. behdadsoft

behdadsoft

@GameDevCouple_I

Thanks.

it's right, but before compress or anything at the first I need to know what is the standard size of art for use in any platform?
    For example: Suppose usual size of art that can resize according to different platform is 4094 x 2048, and I designed art with lower than it that make To be seen with quality in some platform or vice versa.

6. RichardKain

RichardKain

For 2D, the correct answer is to create your source art using vectors. There are a few styles where using this approach can make things slightly more difficult. But modern vector programs (like Inkscape and Illustrator) have tools and approaches to compensate for this. I personally favor using Blender to make vector graphics using it's bezier tools, occasionally combined with the newer grease pencil tools.

Essentially, 2D art produced using a vector approach is constructed entirely using math. As such, it can be scaled up or down infinitely. This makes it immensely useful as the "source" for exporting art to different programs or platforms with different requirements. With vector art, the "standard" size you produce your art at is largely arbitrary. You can just pick a resolution you like, and stick with that. Exporting your finished art at other resolutions is trivial. I often use Inkscape for vector illustrations, and there is an entire section in it's export settings that lets you pick what resolution to export at. You don't even have to click anything to get there, it's part of the export interface by default.

7. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I wouldnt say thats the "correct" answer at all. A ton of AAA and big budget indie games made with unity making 2d games dont use vector art. I would actually say thats pretty bad advice to be giving a newbie.

Vector art is one way to solve the solution, its not the solution.

Making your art at largest scale/resolution/highest fidelity possible and then exporting out correctly sized down versions is the normal way to do this, and thats true in any program and engine. Yes vectors work around this issue, but it also entirely changes your workflow and art style and requires you to be skilled at using vector programs.

A good example is how in studio our artists use both photoshop and illustrator as well as marmoset hexels to make artwork. All are capable of a variety of things, all can solve this problem, but none I would say are "the solution" as that would fool a newer user into thinking if they use program X their problems disappear. Which isnt the case. They all have their use cases, and depending on your art style / previsualisation using a vector based art program may not be an option.

Source: managed 2 teams of artists, one which had 12+ members.

8. RichardKain

RichardKain

Granted, there are permutations and specific situations to take into account. But the question that the original poster was pushing for was directly related to producing art that scales well, regardless of resolution. And as you yourself pointed out, Vector art is the most scale-friendly solution, one that can be exported to any resolution with ease.

If you want to talk drawbacks, the obvious problem with vectors is texture. While pixel formats can handle texture in an image fairly well, vectors are either abysmal, or require the incorporation of pixel graphics to ape the technique. Vectors involve solid color blocks, or artfully crafted gradients, but are relatively terrible when it comes to fine texture detail. The "rougher" you want an image to look, the harder it is to achieve using vector graphics.

A capable, experienced team will leverage several technologies together to achieve remarkable graphical effects. A lone beginner who is learning the ropes and is overly concerned about graphic scaling will use vectors. The rest of the permutations and variations in style will come with experience.

If you construct 2D art with traditional pixel programs, and in a few years the "maximum" target for that art gets bumped up, you're out of luck. That art will need to be re-drawn or re-illustrated or re-painted at a higher resolution. If your source 2D art is in vectors, such complications aren't an issue. You're a button-press away from future-proofing your 2D assets.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  9. behdadsoft

behdadsoft