Search Unity

Desert terrain

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by cruising, Jul 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cruising

cruising

Hello!

Im making some sort of a adventure game and trying to make a desert(sand) terrain.

Is there a way to make the typical rigged sand dunes in/with unity?
    What im talking about is something like this

All i can do is hills that doesnt look like desert at all.

2. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Looks like desert to me. Just need to decrease the elevation on those mounds and pick some areas to flatten nearly completely.

3. cruising

cruising

It might look like desert because of the sand texture, but it do not look like i want with the riggs and slopes :)

4. magnite

magnite

I'm assuming you are trying to achieve this effect. This would be very hard, if not impossible with the current Unity Terrain system. To achieve this effect you will either need to model the terrain in a modeling program like Blender or Maya; Or you can use 3D models that are modeled to give the illusion that the terrain comes to these sharp edges.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  5. Teila

Teila

You might try to use World Machine. I haven't tried yet with dunes but plan to do so very soon. It has a nice erosion feature and lots of modules you can add on for various techniques. It does have a free version that you could trial and see if it works for you before purchasing. Size is limited in the free version but still a good way to see if it works. :)

What you need is to get some directional erosion going that makes the steep on one side and shallow on the other. This is the basic structure of any wind eroded feature, including sand dunes. The steep side should be no more than 45 degrees, which is the angle of repose for particles.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you are able to make. Terrain sculpting is challenging in Unity but so much fun with the right tools. :)

6. cruising

cruising

I have done some maps in World Machine, pretty advanced program, and i do not completly understand about all these modules and lines and settings you connect everything with, mostly i end up in a S***ty terrain anyway and far away from what i was suposed to make hehe.

Maybe you could make a tutorial when you start with your dunes?

7. Teila

Teila

Maybe...we will see. :) I will at the very least show you what I did. It will be a bit as I am working on a swamp at the moment but I feel the need to have dry feet. :)

8. cruising

cruising

Thansk kind of you! :) i guess you will show the settings for each add on? that would be a great start to play and learn with :)
    Put your boots on and walk the swamp! :p

9. Teila

Teila

Well, I essentially live in a state that is a swamp...lol....so it does get boring. Kind of eerie to see your real world in a Unity terrain, especially the dangerous wildlife. lol

Ony likes this.
  10. cruising

cruising

We could switch for a day or two so i can explore the swamp lol. I agree, i would not mind to see the place i comes from in unity, that would be aswesome haha.

11. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

12. cruising

cruising

Thanks, but i have no idea how to open .dev files?
    EDIT: Im so stupid sometimes haha... .dev is for World Machine or else it wouldnt be on their site...guess i need to wake up before posting in forums :p

And a update for my map, this is the best i can do without any external tools

EDIT2: how do i use that .dev file in World Machine? seams like the program dont find the file when i put it in the Macro folder.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
    Ryiah and GarBenjamin like this.
  13. Teila

Teila

:)You install the macro in documents/worldmachinedocuments/macros.

14. Xoduz

Xoduz

@cruising Love the endless desert look already, good stuff!

15. cruising

cruising

Thats was what i did and i could not find it in WM, how ever...i had 2 setups of that map, i placed it in the other one and found the macro in WM lol

Thanks!
    its not endless, it just look like that because of the fog :)

Heres a update for the WM dune terrain in unity i made, not exactly the result i want but still better.

Farelle likes this.
  16. Teila

Teila

Looks nice! :)

17. cruising

cruising

Thanks! I still want sharp rigs, but that seams to advanced for me :)

18. Sir-Spunky

Sir-Spunky

19. moure

moure

Hey mate, stumbled upon the thread and made me open worldmachine and try it out myself.
    You can see the result below (render in 3dsmax - not unity) and you can get the WM_project/heightmap (in raw and png)/and the dunefield macro i used here. Cheers and good luck to your project ;)

Attached Files:

Xoduz, El Maxo and Gigiwoo like this.
  20. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Okay, what you need is RTP.

Make models of the ridges then have them blend into the terrain.

EDIT: It should be noted that RTP also does a TON of other very cool things and is pretty much a manditory tool for proper terrain at this point (along with Horiz(on), Terrain Composer, and Advanced Foliage Shader).

Oh, and Suimono Water is worth looking up too.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  21. Xoduz

Xoduz

@moure I borrowed your heightmap, so I could create this test-environment (using standard assets, free speedtree, a static 3D model of a camel downloaded from turbosquid, one texture (ground) plus one skybox (AllSky) and Simple RPG Camera to run around):

desert_test_1.png desert_test_2.png desert_test_3.png

moure likes this.
  22. Xoduz

Xoduz

Also, a gif (16.6mb, sorry!)

Teila likes this.
  23. crazykoke2

crazykoke2

Really does look like a desert, hills might need to be smaller. but other than that, it looks cool!

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  24. LaneFox

LaneFox

After two years I don't think they care.

25. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

There are many different types of deserts.
    Some deserts, do have rocky hills and mounds.
    So your art work scenery, is realistic enough.

But all have one thing in common, ridiculously hot, barren, dryish wastelands
    with almost no plant life in them.

Also, nice art work. Your desert, kinda looks interplanetary.
    But still looks, like it's from planet Earth.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  26. DerrickMoore

DerrickMoore

27. Sayentify

Sayentify

@cruising Three years later, but still curious to know how you managed to make that perfect fog? External asset? I am working on desert environment too and would love to know how to achieve this perfect blend between terrain, horizon and skybox while giving it a beautiful depth...

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  28. cruising

cruising

Its all standard, i just added standard fog and copied the color of the sky where it is brown. Then i fine tuned the color in the color settings to blend it all togeter

Sayentify and BrandyStarbrite like this.
  29. Fortitude3D

Fortitude3D

Very realistic, nice work

30. jeffman1

jeffman1

@moure I couldn't get the height map to import correctly into unity. Am I doing something wrong?

31. DerrickMoore

DerrickMoore

what image size is your heightmap.. that could be an issue.... double check your image size..

if this is your first time importing a heightmap into Unity...

make sure you are using a .RAW file format... has to be Greyscale more... no color RGB date.. Greyscale... aslo.. make it 16 bit.. you will be 4 times as happy than if you make a 8bit greyscale image..

Raw file format
    16bit Greyscale image
    power of 8 pizel resolution

make it Square for your own sanity, no rectangles.. also there is an upper size limit... I forget exactly what it is.. but you will not be happy trying to make a terrain with a 20,000x20,0000 pixel resolution... that might just be me, your mileage may vary..

32. McDev02

McDev02

WorldMachine is a nice tool, there might also be some examples already, like this or that.
    Try to get some inspiration and get used to the tool. My idea would be to start with some billowed noise (I guess, or 0.5-perlin) for the sharp edges and maybe annother noise type multiplied to shape individual dunes.
    The second image is a bit tricky, it looks like very smooth surfaces but sharp errosion on one side. This could be done with masking based on where the slope is facing.
    EDIT sorry for some reason I only read the first few posts and didn't realize this is an old thread :)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  33. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Necro, off topic. Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.